[Microkernel-devroom] FOSDEM 2013 - Microkernels / Component-based OSes devroom

Joanna Rutkowska joanna at invisiblethingslab.com
Tue Oct 30 10:46:28 CET 2012

On 10/29/12 13:01, Stefan Kalkowski wrote:
> FOSDEM 2013 - Microkernels / Component-based OSes devroom
> *CALL FOR PARTICIPATION*
> http://fosdem.org/2013
>
> The developers of several free and open-source component- and/or
> microkernel-based operating systems will meet at FOSDEM 2013 in
> Brussels, Belgium and will share a developer room.
>
> The devroom is currently looking for content in the form of talks
> related to the area of component- and/or microkernel-based operating
> systems. Possible topics include, but are not limited to:
>
>  * OS introduction to developers of other OS
>  * Subsystems and architecture
>  * Hardware and device drivers
>  * Tools and languages
>  * Release engineering and testing
>  * Experience and learning from mistakes
>  * Technical challenges
>  * Community and life with an OS-project
>  * Academia and education
>
> Please send your talk proposal(s) no later than by 2012-12-15 to:
>
>   microkernel-devroom at lists.fosdem.org
>
> Make sure to include the following in your proposal:
>
>  * title of your talk (will be printed in the FOSDEM booklet)
>  * your full name (will be printed in the FOSDEM booklet)
>  * a short abstract
>  * duration of your talk (please, no longer than 45 minutes)
>
> The final devroom schedule (along with accepted talks) will be announced
> on the above mailing list on 2012-12-22. Moreover, the speakers will be
> notified via e-mail. The schedule will be also published on the FOSDEM
> web and in the FOSDEM booklet after 2013-01-10.
>
> If you do not want to give a talk yourself, you may still send
> suggestions for what else you would like to see, or do in the devroom.
> Please send your suggestions to the above mailing list.
>
> The devroom is scheduled for Saturday of February 2. The seating
> capacity of the room is 74 seats. Any changes will be announced in the
> above mailing list.

So one thing I really would like to see is some form of presentation, or
a poster even, that would nicely summarize the similarities and
differences between many of the projects we're talking about here
(ukernels, hypervisors, OSes, frameworks). E.g. which of the projects
are really complementary to each other (e.g. one of them provides a
ukernel while another provides "everything else" and really depends on
that ukernel instead of being its competition)? Which ones are
competition to each other and how they differ (e.g. for ukernels that
would be a question of IOMMU support, power management support, etc).

There is incredible amount of misinformation regarding this and I often
get questions such as "How is Qubes OS different from the Nova
hypervisor?", or "How is Qubes OS different from Genode OS Framework?"
(the latter being pretty valid question BTW), etc.

So, perhaps during this meeting there could be a session which would aim
to create such a big picture diagram or something.

Cheers,
joanna.