FOSDEM 2024 Microkernel and Component-based OS devroom schedule proposal

Martin Decky martin at decky.cz
Thu Dec 14 12:30:04 UTC 2023

Dear all,

please see below the current proposal of the schedule of the Microkernel
and Component-based OS devroom at FOSDEM 2024. (This email also serves
as an official confirmation of the acceptance of your talk, in case you
have missed the email from pretalx.)

As you can probably see immediately, the duration of the talks had to be
reduced in almost all cases in order to accommodate all the accepted
talks (only a single proposal has been rejected, since it was not a good
match for the topics of the devroom). Sadly, the total duration of the
devroom this year, as allocated by the FOSDEM organizers, is one half
compared to the previous years.

I fully understand that shortening the talk duration is very unfortunate
and delivering a quality talk in 20 minutes is challenging. If this
constraint is prohibitive for you and you would rather withdraw your
talk under these circumstances, then please let me know ASAP. However, I
still believe that something is better than nothing and I strongly
encourage you to accept the challenge.

Begin | End   | Speaker             | Title
------+-------+---------------------+--------------------------------------
15:00 | 15:20 | Alex Auvolat        | A microkernel-based ...
15:20 | 15:40 | Johannes Schlatow   | Streamlining application ...
15:40 | 16:00 | Andreia Ocanoaia    | Run Node.js in a unikernel ...
16:00 | 16:30 | Udo Steinberg       | Using the NOVA microhypervisor ...
16:30 | 17:00 | Szymon Duchniewicz  | Improving the Space Efficiency ...
17:00 | 17:20 | Razvan Deaconescu   | Unikernels Are Here: ...
17:20 | 17:40 | Matias Vara Larsen  | Is Toro unikernel faster for MPI?
17:40 | 18:00 | Martin Kröning      | News from the Hermit Crab ...
18:00 | 18:20 | Simon Kuenzer       | Linux Binary Compatible ...
18:20 | 18:40 | Waldemar Kozaczuk   | Support Dynamically Linked ...
18:40 | 19:00 | C. Mainas, A. Nanos | Bunny: A Modular Approach ...

If you see any issue or a scheduling conflict on your side in this
schedule proposal, then please do not hesitate to approach me ASAP. The
later we do any adjustments in the schedule, the harder it might be (but
we will try to do our best). I am certainly also open to any other
comments and suggestions.

FYI: The devroom has been scheduled to the room UD2.208 (Decroly) with a
capacity of 174.

A few other remarks:

(1) Please click on the link you have received in the email from pretalx
to confirm your talk. Without that, your talk will not appear in the
public schedule on the FOSDEM web site. If you have not received the
email from pretalx, then please let me know about your confirmation by
any other means.

(2) Given the short talk slots and no slack time for the changeovers, I
would like to request all the speakers to send me their presentations in
advance in a PDF (possibly including prerecorded videos with demos,
etc.). We will run the slide decks from a single laptop to minimize the
complications with connecting to the beamer, to the streaming box, etc.

(3) The deadline for the presentation materials is February 2nd 2024 by
the very latest. In your own interest, try to send me your materials
sooner than that, so that we can iron out any possible issues with time
to spare.

(4) In case you absolutely need to present from your own laptop (e.g.
because of a live demo, etc.), it will be certainly possible. But please
note that the setup time will cut into your own talk slot and please be
prepared to give your talk only using the previously collected materials
from the common laptop in case something goes wrong with setting up your
own laptop. Once again, a prerecorded demo might be a reasonable
compromise given the constraints.

(5) It is perfectly fine to not have a Q&A time in your talk and answer
the questions from the audience in a hallway discussion. Again, this is
certainly not ideal, but we have to deal with what we have.

(6) We will start organizing the traditional microkernel dinner in
January. If you have any suggestions or preferences, feel free to talk
to me.

Happy holidays and looking forward to meeting you at FOSDEM in February!

Best regards

Martin Decky
--
Martin Decky, Ph.D.