[Open-source-gamedev-devroom] "Call for Speakers" draft

Nils Kneuper crazy-ivanovic at gmx.net
Sun Nov 13 12:00:17 CET 2011

Hi everybody!
Now that the dev room was accepted there needs to be some call for possible
talks/predentations/speakers. Since this room is not just done by Wesnoth / me
I'd at least like to have some feedback on what the call for speakers should like.

I am not 100% sure how the selection itself should later on happen. I'll
probably try to do some general arrangement of the proposed topics into a
timeline and ask for feedback regarding "should I change something?" (as in
add/remove some topics). Personally I am not 100% sure how long each slot
should be, personally I'd say either 55min + 5min break or 25min + 5min break,
but this will be a question for the call for speakers, too.

Now lets start with the draft itself:

"
Open Source Game Development devroom: Call for Speakers

At FOSDEM2012 there will be a devroom centered on the development of Open
Source Games. For this room we are currently looking for speakers and possible
topics. The game development devroom takes place on Sunday, February 5th,
09:00 - 17:00 in room AW1.120 (74 seats).

As topics anything regarding Open Source Game Development is allowed and
wanted. This includes talks about game specific areas like AI development as
well as community integration, artwork (graphics and sound), translations in
the context of games, integration of usermade content, cross platform porting
(eg to mobile devices like phones) or whatever else you might find. The talks
should, if possible, not just be a presentation of a single game project
(though you can and should of course mention the project that you work with as
well as what the project is about). Since FOSDEM is a conference centered on
technical topics it makes sense to present problems and their solutions which
might be relevant for other projects, too. The sessions are not limited to
just holding a talk. If you have an idea for e.g. doing a short competition or
a discussion round, this can also be a session.

People interested in holding a session should let that intention be known on
the open-source-gamedev-devroom at lists.fosdem.org mailinglist, with the
following information:

- - Their name
- - The project they are associated with
- - A (short) bio, to be put on the website along with their speaker name
- - (optionally) a picture of themselves
- - The title of their session (which will go on the website and in the booklet)
- - A (short) abstract describing the session in further detail.
- - The desired approximate duration for the session.
- - The desired timeslot in which they want to hold the session.

Suggested times for the duration are 55min or 25min. The last point is
intended to prevent conflicts from happening. Conflicts with other devrooms
for people holding sessions in more than one devroom.

The deadline for submissions is December 23rd, 23:00 GMT+1.
"

So much about the draft for the "Call for Speakers". Please provide me with
feedback regarding content as well as wording. I plan to ask the fosdem people
to publish this call for speakers in some days and I plan to also publish it
in the Wesnoth boards. It would be great if you could also create a news about
this in your respective communities to spread the word.

Cheers,
Nils Kneuper aka Ivanovic