[Open-source-gamedev-devroom] talks and general procedure for the games devroom

Nils Kneuper crazy-ivanovic at gmx.net
Sun Jan 15 12:49:20 CET 2012

Hi everybody!
The idea behind this mail is to provide some general guideline for the
speakers as well as people who want to help with the devroom. I want to
outline what will be available and how you might want to prepare "backup plans".

First some general rules for the talks:
* Each of you has a 45min timeslot. Yes, this is a hard deadline. After the
45min at least the projector won't be available for you anymore since the
followup speaker also has to setup their stuff. Personally I would welcome it
if you already allowed the next speaker to setup your equipment in the time
you consider for asking questions. The 45min *are a hard deadline*, you won't
get extra time, even if this means you have to stop right in the middle of
your talk. There are also other speakers to follow up and they need their
time, too.
* Please make sure to prepare your slides in advance. It would be great if you
sent me your slides in pdf format until the *end of January*. pdf format since
this will for sure display correctly and nicely where anything else is prone
to fail on someone else's device. If you want to show anything besides slides,
make sure to have a backup. Eg wifi might be flaky during FOSDEM.
* If you want to use my laptop: keep in mind to send me everything needed for
the talk until the *end of January*. Only assume that I will be able to
display pdf files as well as "rather simple videos without sound".
* Additionally you should bring all your stuff required on some external media
(usb stick or harddrive, got no optical drive in my laptop!).

What will be available during the talks:
* At least one European power plug for your laptop (in case you want to use
your own and not mine). If your device does not have a EU plug you have to
bring an adapter yourself.
* My laptop as backup machine.
* A projector with VGA plug. Please make sure that you can make use of VGA and
know how to switch your laptop to 1024x768 on the external display.
* (maybe) It is not sure yet if there will be some bottled water for you
during your talks. I'll try to find some supermarket when arriving on Friday
to buy some sixpacks, but can't guarantee that there will be a bottle of water
per speaker.
* (maybe) Internet via wifi. In theory it should be available and working, but
don't be 100% sure of this...

What most likely won't be available during the talks:
* A microphone or decent speakers. If you plan to showcast anything with
audio: Assume it not possible. Make sure you are able to speak out aloud since
I assume that there won't be a microphone setup for the room, though this
should not be required for only up to 74 people.
* A laser pointer unless you bring it yourself.

Things "everybody" can help with:
* I will make sure to bring some multi power outlets, more always make sense.
I assume that the number of power outlets available in the room will be very
limited otherwise. I won't be able to provide outlets for anything more than
say 10 devices. Yes, there will be power available for those speaking, but in
case other people in the room want to make use of their devices additional
outlets might make sense.
* There is no laser pointer available. If you have one, please make sure to
bring it with you to borrow it to the speakers (possibly including extra
batteries).
* As you might have read at the top of the mail there most likely won't be a
microphone or even speakers available. If you have equipment for this and can
bring it this would really make sense.
* I have no equipment for recording talks. If you have something for this, can
bring it with you and record the talks this would be *really* appreciated.
What would be required is a camera as well as a microphone. I don't have
either for this. In case nobody steps up with the tools for this, there won't
be a recording of the games devrooms talks.

Is there anything else you think might be required for the devroom? Is there
something I should make sure to consider in the plans?
Cheers,
Nils Kneuper aka Ivanovic