[wikis-devroom] Call for participation

Quim Gil qgil at wikimedia.org
Mon Oct 7 21:24:39 CEST 2013

Wikis devroom - FOSDEM, Brussels, 1 & 2 February 2014

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

IN SHORT

We accept proposals for wiki related submissions. The formats accepted
are 25min sessions or 5min lighting sessions. All proposals must be
submitted via https://penta.fosdem.org/submission/

Deadline: 30 November 2013

Questions? Feedback? Willing to help?

BACKGROUND

Wikis are essential tools for online collaboration, open knowledge and
free software. They are everywhere: from the mainstream Wikipedia to a
myriad of public, academic and corporate knowledge bases and personal
sites. And most of them are open source software.

Wikis became popular thanks to the edit button allowing users to create
and modify text-based web pages easily. Over the years wikis have become
more powerful, handling more content types, allowing better look & feel,
championing localization and integrating (sometimes) with other tools.
The development continues, with hundreds of professional and volunteer
contributors specializing in this area.

There are also challenges: the competition from (mainly proprietary and
corporate) social media and online office tools, keeping up with UX
expectations from users, editors and sysadmins, compatibility across
different wiki engines and other publishing tools, collaboration between
wiki projects...

SCOPE

Wikis devroom is a place to showcase and discuss

* new features, especially exploring areas beyond plain text editing

* compatibility and integration with other tools and services

* lessons learned from deployments, surveys, research...

* cross-project collaboration

We want to focus on sessions for a technical audience including savvy
editors. Basic introductions for end users and long tutorials are out of
scope.

FORMAT

One day, one room. Most of the schedule will be filled with sessions of
about 25 minutes that have gone through a call for participation.

We will have a WikiWiki Hour of lightning presentations (5 minutes each).

We will organize a panel session with representation of key wiki
projects - the specific topic to be decided as we confirm the participants.

ORGANIZATION

Quim Gil (MediaWiki), Vincent Massol (XWiki) and Jean-Marc Libs (Tiki).