On 02/12/15 09:44, Michael Thayer wrote:
Hello Karanbir,
Not quite sure what you mean with the licencing model - we distribute most of our code under the GPL, with a couple of hooks for proprietary add-ons like USB2+ - though that is all on the host side, the guest side is entirely GPL. (Actually the OS/2 part is not all due to licences on OS/2 libraries and headers. It never seemed important enough to do anything about.)
Does a lightning talk sound good? That is fifteen minutes plus questions/discussion, isn't it?
Thanks and regards,
Michael
On 02.12.2015 10:27, Karanbir Singh wrote:
Hi Michael,
On 02/12/15 09:01, Michael Thayer wrote:
I was wondering whether the topic of how the VirtualBox guest tools are packaged by distributions would be a reasonable subject for a lightning talk, assuming you still have space for one? So far I haven't got my act together to submit one (too busy developing), but I might still do. I would like to keep it short, as I am more interested in listening and conversing than telling people things (and I must admit in getting a bit more contact with the people involved). The basic tenor would be: so far we have tried to keep our guest tools out of distributions, as we like to be able to upgrade them on distribution versions which are no longer well maintained, but distributions are keen to provide them in versions which are maintained.
sounds like a great subject, if you can - it would be great to get a lowdown on the licensing model and how that impacts some of these packaging / delivery models as well.
one of the key areas for the distro devroom is upstream engagement, and this fits right in there very nicely.
yeah that sounds about right, 20 min for the session, so 15+5 would work. we will try and have lightning talks on both Sat and Sun, so in the submission let us know if you have a preference. regards