Hallo Martin, (inline reply) On 06-07-17 20:47, Martin Braun wrote:
On 07/01/2017 12:10 PM, Kristoff wrote:
Correct. In fact, the ham-radio infobooth we have had started out as an idea of some people who participated in the SDR devroom in 2014.
But, as also replied by Daniel, amateur radio is more then signal-processing (SDR). There also is (e.g.) digital voice, digital keyboard-to-keyboard communication modes, weak-signal communication, satellite-trackers, mesh-networking, repeater-linking-networks, and many other things. But I do agree that the ham-radio topics do overlap quite a bit with existing devroom: the SDR devroom, the EDA (electronic-design automation) and the "embedded" devroom. Another element in this is that the SDR devroom is already quite loaded. Adding ham-radio-but-not-related-to-sdr topics to that devroom is probably not a good idea.
So I am still a bit puzzled on how to see this and how to do this the best. (hence my question here). As the guy who's organized the SDR track for the last few years, I would have appreciated if you had pinged me on this too.
To be clear, it wasn't me who linked the "ham-radio" with the SDR devroom. I understand the confusion by certain people (after all, both have the name "radio" in it), but -as mentioned- my idea is about the ham-radio related software that is not SDR related: digital-voice, digital-modes, pskmail, mesh-network, radio-over-ip, remote station-control, ... The ham-radio info booth we have had at fosdem started out as a small "get together" by a number of hams who visited the SDR devroom in 2014 (or was it 2013?). The last think I want to do is "compete" with the SDR devroom. That is surely not my goal. (...)
Now, of course you're right that ham software includes more than just SDR, but if you've followed the SDR track in the last couple of years, you'll have noticed that we have all kinds of talks, including FPGA-specific ones, embedded Linux, and other non-DSP talks. Besides, our mission was always to get people from various communities together, such as telecomms, DSP, academia, and also hams.
Well, to be honest, the last two years, I had a fulltime job maning the infobooth (sometimes you need to make choices in life :-( ) so must admit that I have completely missed outmost all talks. But, as mentioned, one of the main reasons I queried about the possibility for a ham-radio devroom was simply not to "highjack" the sdr-devroom. There is quite some ham radio-related application that do not fit in the "SDR box".
To be clear: I realise you weren't criticizing the SDR devroom or FOSDEM, ... Thank you. That was indeed not my intention at all :-)
but rather making a suggestion. Creating a ham-specific devroom would mean, though, cancelling something else. So what should it be? Python devroom? Or the embedded devroom? The reason I queried about this was -as my original mail mentioned- simply to get an idea what would be the requirements to do this, this to determine if it would make sence to talk about this wil certain developers I know.
Let's start there.
Cheers, Martin Cheerio! Kristoff