Hi, On 30/01/14 14:28, Christopher Orr wrote:
On 30/01/14 14:15, Jarek wrote:
Hi,
I have noticed that in XML schedule at https://fosdem.org/2014/schedule/xml a string "&" appears in about 20 talk descriptions. I think it should be just "&", otherwise it will display ugly in mobile apps.
Example (in second paragraph of the abstract): <abstract><p>Entangle is an open source project that provides a Linux desktop application for “tethered shooting”. It uses the ligphoto2 library to trigger the camera shutter, preview shots via the camera's "live view" capability, download captured images and access all the live camera settings. It is useful for a variety of use cases including studio model shoots, macro still life, stop motion animation shoots, astro-photography and more.</p>
<p>The talk will be targeted at Linux users & developers who are photographers interested in any of the aforementioned use cases.</p></abstract>
That looks like HTML embedded in XML, so ampersands probably should be escaped like that, like the <p> tag is escaped at the start of the abstract.
Ah, I see. I was surprised that in titles they are just escaped as '&', but in descriptions as '&', but that explains it - titles are plaintext and descriptions are HTML.
Are you actually seeing formatting issues in one of the mobile apps? If so, I guess it's up to the app authors to handle HTML-formatted text in the abstracts, since that seems to be the intention.
I see formatting errors in N900 sojourner app which does not handle HTML descriptions and treats it as text ('<' becomes '<', '&' becomes '&', but '&'; becomes '&'). I have fixed the error by stripping out unnecessary tags, so not a problem anymore. Thanks for explanation, Jarek