Alasdair, Thanks for taking this up. Although I surely do not say I talk for all the standholders here, but from my point of view, I think the best here is the keep-it-simple approach. I see discussions about chat-forums and 3D spaces, but I do not really that much additional value in that. If a stand wants to create content for their virtual stand (a video, an online chat-session / demo via jitsi/BBB/..., a chat-forum via <whatever-platform>), that they can do this by themselves using whatever tools and services that exist out there. I do not think that we need to things to complicated and I surely do not want to burden FOSDEM to much for this. As I see it, our main issue this year is to attract visitors to whatever online event we organise. So, this means - a presence on the FOSDEM website. (either on the site itself, or just a link to a website on our servers) A link from one or multiple related devrooms to us would surely also help, but I guess we can just ask that to the maintainers of devrooms) - a presence on the FOSDEM-agenda: "Saturday, from 2 PM to 2:30 PM, demo and Q&A on <some-subject> at info-stand <whatever>, see link here". This would allow us to attract both 'targetted' visitors and more random-people 'walking by', so If this would be possible, this would be more then sufficient for us. From our side. We will look into preparing a number of videos to put on some video-platform, and do some presentations and demos on jitsi; but we can all organise that by ourself so we do not need to bother the FOSDEM volunteers with that. Thanks! Kr. Bonne. On 5/12/2020 2:27 a.m., Alasdair G Kergon wrote:
On Thu, Dec 03, 2020 at 09:18:35PM +0100, Kristoff wrote:
We hosted the infostand on Amateur-Radio on FOSDEM for some years now. Off course, as FOSDEM 2021 will be held online, there are no real 'physical' stands next year, ... but has something been foreseen to allow standholders to be virtually present at fosdem 2021 (i.e. on the official FOSDEM website)?
Yes, there will be a stands section of the website. There'll be a CFP for this (probably) in the next week. The hope is we'll have a combination of static content and interactive content (sharing the facilities being created for the devrooms, assuming we manage to scale them up sufficiently).
As with my previous message, if people can offer the time and skills to help to develop and integrate facilities for the stands, please get in touch on info@fosdem.org indicating what you could offer.
Alasdair