On 07/06/2017 11:59 AM, Daniel Pocock wrote:
[...] How would you feel about a slight name change, maybe "SDR and Ham software dev-room"? Would you want to have people like Kristoff join the admin team for the room? The RTC room had 4 admins this year, this makes it easier for people to take breaks.
I'm not sure if this is the right discussion forum, and Kristoff seems to have his own ideas :) We should probably take this offline. In summary, I'm not a fan of that particular name because as I mentioned earlier, we already have more than just pure SDR topics, but I'm definitely open for a different name than just "Software Defined Radio Devroom". (And yeah, I realize I don't get to decide this when all's said and done. Just stating my intentions). Cheers, Martin
To be clear: I realise you weren't criticizing the SDR devroom or FOSDEM, but rather making a suggestion. Creating a ham-specific devroom would mean, though, cancelling something else. So what should it be? Python devroom? Or the embedded devroom? I'm being facetious, here, of course, to emphasize my point. Also, do you really think that there will be 15-ish good speakers ready to speak about non-SDR-related-but-ham-related stuff with an excellent presentation? Even with broad subjects, it's some work to get a good lineup of speakers.
Actually, as the FOSDEM team already commented, they do chop and change dev-rooms every year. So either RTC dev-room or the SDR dev-room could be skipped in 2018.
In fact, we used to have separate Telecoms and XMPP dev-rooms (1 day each) and they were combined into a single day (RTC dev-room). Distributions used to have their own dev-rooms but now they get squeezed into one room.
For next year, I fully intend to propose another SDR devroom, and will also, as usual, invite hams. We can broaden the CfP to make that clear, too. Let's just increase the competition for slots, and make sure we get the best speakers. And if a talk about satellite tracking lands in the SDR track, oh well, what's the big deal. We'll put it after the talk on satellite ground stations if we have another one of those.
One thing we tried with RTC the last two years is reducing talk slots to 20 minutes, like TED talks. Then we don't have to turn away so many speakers. I understand some demos need more than that, up to a full hour, but we felt good about this in the RTC dev-room.