James, Correct. In fact, the ham-radio infobooth we have had started out as an idea of some people who participated in the SDR devroom in 2014. But, as also replied by Daniel, amateur radio is more then signal-processing (SDR). There also is (e.g.) digital voice, digital keyboard-to-keyboard communication modes, weak-signal communication, satellite-trackers, mesh-networking, repeater-linking-networks, and many other things. But I do agree that the ham-radio topics do overlap quite a bit with existing devroom: the SDR devroom, the EDA (electronic-design automation) and the "embedded" devroom. Another element in this is that the SDR devroom is already quite loaded. Adding ham-radio-but-not-related-to-sdr topics to that devroom is probably not a good idea. So I am still a bit puzzled on how to see this and how to do this the best. (hence my question here). Cheerio! Kr. Bonne. On 01-07-17 15:55, James wrote:
On Sat, Jul 1, 2017 at 9:39 AM, Kristoff <kristoff@skypro.be> wrote:
Dyring fosdem 2017, the amateur-radio society of Belgium has an infobooth to promote amateur-radio at fosdem. (thanks again to the people at fosdem to allow us to do this).
I have had an idea in the back of my mind for some time to go a little bit further in this and look at the possiblity to set up a (small) devroom for amateur-radio related topics and open-source/free software and hardware.
There's already a `software defined radio` room. I think this subject belongs there. Please see:
https://fosdem.org/2017/schedule/track/software_defined_radio/
Thanks, James