Hi Geert, After re-reading it a few times, I see that it could stand as is. My apologies. It would read more naturally to either keep both success and pleasant as adjectival or both nouns. It reads a little odd to switch kinds of items in an 'and' list: -Thank you for your help in making FOSDEM a success and pleasant for all the people involved. +Thank you for your help in making FOSDEM a successful and pleasant event for all the people involved. or +Thank you for your help in making FOSDEM successful and pleasant for all the people involved. I had never heard of a zeugma before. :) Thanks for sharing. When I first read the line, I simply assumed you had forgotten a word. The 'a success' puts my mind in noun mode and I was looking for the noun after 'pleasant'. But it is perfectly fine to say: "Thanks for making FOSDEM a success"; and also to say "Thanks for making FOSDEM pleasant". It's just the odd 'and' clause that has two different types of items in the list that sounds odd... like a math problem where the parenthesis are placed in the wrong spot, factoring out too much: Thank you for your help in making FOSDEM a (success and pleasant) for all the people involved. Expanded, 'a success' is fine; 'a pleasant' is how my mind expanded that second item when I first (and secondly) read it and was waiting for a noun someplace.... a pleasant WHAT? :) Your original wording is probably perfectly legal, and I should have processed it as: Thank you for your help in making FOSDEM (a success and pleasant) for all the people involved. I didn't think about it long enough and simply thought you missed a word. My apologies, though you might consider altering slightly to make both items agree in kind so others don't make the same mistake as me. Thanks again, Troy On 11/15/2015 01:12 PM, Geert Stappers wrote:
On Sun, Nov 15, 2015 at 12:46:14PM -0700, Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
Just wanted to point out that there is a minor typo in the last line just before the contact details.
Copy of that line: ' Thank you for your help in making FOSDEM a success and pleasant for all the people involved. '
What should be changed? And into what??
Groeten Geert Stappers