Am 30/10/15 um 13:06 schrieb Andreia Gaita:
Wow, I can't believe I just read this. I was already extremely disappointed by the way this thread was going, but this is some really out there BS.
Well, you try to win using the emotional way... but you underestimate, that most people here will be able to notice that and feel manipulated. If you want to convince: Speak their language. Come with logic.
For years we've all been working towards making the tech industry more inclusive and diverse, promoting dialog and creating safe spaces for everyone.
Have you every calculated the risc of people getting upset with the way you try to enforce things and closing down events like FOSDEM? What could happen if in the end even the organizers do no longer feel welcome and safe at their own conferences? What if you win, but in the end there is no longer any kind of IT tech community... just Oracle Tech Conferences?
...but doesn't really help towards making the tech environment a place where everybody can feel safe and supported.
Well, I know multiple places where a CoC is common as well as harassment when you do not comply with the "majority". Well, guess what happens: Nobody cares, as there is no way to go to s.th. like a court to enforce things.
You want to know why a code of conduct is needed? Because of you, that's why.
I think, this email would not comply with a CoC either... sorry... Best... Achim