On 2012-01-26 10:08:48 (+0100), Marc Coevoet <sintsixtus@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,
Hi Marc
I remember I printed some A3 pages with the schedule on it last year. I suppose a version of this schedule will be available soon?
Possibly. I do that every year but it's a completely manual process to craft that, and I'm not sure I'll have the time to do that this year (takes several hours, and this time it requires cramming 420 sessions into that instead of 320 as with previous years). I'll try, but I can't promise. If anyone else would like to do that and contribute it, that would be more than welcome ;) I can provide any data about the talks (plain text list, csv, whatever). It is actually even available as XML (in a custom format that is specific to Pentabarf, the conference planning system we're using) [1] or iCal [2] or xCal [3]. But as said, I can also provide it in another format. [1] https://fosdem.org/2012/schedule/xml [2] https://fosdem.org/2012/schedule/ical [3] https://fosdem.org/2012/schedule/xcal I'm sure quite a few people will read this and think "huh, manually? hah, I can do better and I'll just make a script that generates LaTeX", etc... -- believe me, it requires a lot of hand crafting in order to fit 400 sessions in 25 rooms in parallel on an acceptable page format ;) Dumping the whole thing on a dozen A3 pages is easy, but adapting the layout, shorten the titles of some talks, the names of some people in order to get it on 6 A4 pages is tedious ^^ I have always done it in a LibreOffice spreadsheet: sounds weird, but as everything requires manual adaptations to layout, text, and column sizes, etc..., and as it absolutely needs to be a grid, it is actually quite a good fit. (But maybe someone has a better plan, I'm open to suggestions :)). cheers -- Pascal Bleser <loki@fosdem.org> http://fosdem.org/ FOSDEM 2012 ::: 4 + 5 February 2012 in Brussels, Belgium Free and Opensource Software Developers European Meeting