On 01/11/15 16:37, Pieter Hintjens wrote:
In which upper-middle class white males discuss how to create "diversity"...
It is not just discussing, I've met several women at conferences who received travel grants from the Google program that I mentioned, so it is actually happening. I'm not suggesting we should aim for 50% representation of women at FOSDEM. However, 20% of computer science graduates are apparently female and we are not even close to having that percentage represented at FOSDEM. That shortfall is not as much a loss for women as it is a loss for open source. Nobody is suggesting we create female developers, they are already out there, we may just need to look at some of these funding opportunities and see how we can use them in maximizing participation in FOSDEM. One other point to remember: every extra female developer does not mean one less male developer. Increased participation from female developers suggests a net gain in the number of man-hours (if you'll excuse the terminology) spent designing, developing and testing free software, for the benefit of everybody who uses it, both male and female.