On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 2:14 PM, Emanuil Tolev <emanuil.tolev@gmail.com> wrote:
The two issues of support and rules have been conflated unnecessarily. I'd still support a "Be excellent to each other. Everybody is here to have a good time." type of thing posted around because it's true anyway and if it helps people feel better or not behave badly, so much the better. My main interest is better support (to ALL, staff, volunteers, devrooms...) for handling of complaints.
Indeed. Posting smiley faces is fine. It makes some people happier and more relaxed and less likely to escalate when they know there are consequences. For complaints, I think we need three things. One is a real-time call for help and support, in case of emergencies. That is, an emergency hotline. Simplest solution is a mobile phone that stays with someone during the two days. One number. Perhaps backed up by an email address that goes to a group. Frankly, I'd like to see this extended to Friday and Saturday evening too, bad things happen in Brussels sometimes. I had my backpack stolen a few weeks back. Terrible panic! Second is a form and process for reporting incidents. Simplest is email, I think. Third is follow up and analysis; if we get incidents we need to reduce the harm they cause to the victims, and learn from them for the future. This can all be further developed if/when needed. -Pieter