On Fri, Feb 23, 2007 at 05:44:02PM +0100, John Seifarth wrote:
I have a few questions about the key signing event on Sunday. [...] GPG/PGP Keysigning
2) How many copies of the (16 page) document do I need to print and fill in the checksums?
Just one.
3) If I add another email address to my identity (I only have one on it now), is the key as signed at the keysigning automatically valid for that address (or is my question already showing my lack of understanding)?
That will depend on the participants; some people will sign your new UID, others won't. It may help if you communicate that you have a new UID on your key at the signing party.
4) What is the best way to disseminate my public key, and to get the public keys of my correspondants? I understand there are key servers somewhere, can someone explain how this works?
Make sure the following line is found in your ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf: keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net Then, you can search for keys with gpg --recv-key <data> where you replace <data> with either the mail address or the key ID of your correspondent. After signing the key, please do not randomly upload them; you should also attempt to verify that the email address of the key you signed is valid. An easy way to do that is to encrypt and mail the key to the key owner; the 'caff' script can help you with this. You can find caff in the Debian package 'signing-party'; it's a perl script. I'll be sure to repeat this at the beginning of the signing party on sunday. -- <Lo-lan-do> Home is where you have to wash the dishes. -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22