On Thu, Feb 08, 2018 at 09:07:10AM +0100, Kristoff wrote:
Hi,
It is correct to say that -at first- FOSDEM was a pure "software" conference, and later grew into more not-pure-software subjects too (SDR, open harware, hardware developer tools, GEOspacial, ..)?
I'm not sure what you mean by "pure software" here. If geospatial and hardware developer tools aren't, what about e.g. hardware drivers?
I guess this change probably happened gradually but I would be nice to have a rought idea when this happened?
It's definitely true that FOSDEM changed over the years. It started (as OSDEM, first change!) with three rooms after all. Back in the "old" days there weren't any rooms dedicated to hardware (I suspect partly because there weren't that many rooms to go round, and partly because of open hardware popularity in general, at least my impression of that) but you can find things like "Quantum computing" on https://archive.fosdem.org/2001/program/index.html , https://archive.fosdem.org/2008/schedule/events/embedded_robot.html , https://archive.fosdem.org/2010/schedule/events/reprap.html , and https://archive.fosdem.org/2004/2004/index/dev_room_embedded.html (there are others, I just had a quick look) I think someone else has already pointed it out, but most of the old schedules are still available on fosdem.org if you want to have a detailed look. Frank
Thanks! :-)
Kr. Bonne
-- "Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." - Brian W. Kernighan