Hi, On 10/30/2015 07:06 AM, Steve Mynott wrote:
I don't agree. I've seen several reasoned arguments *against* the Code of Conduct.
The supporters, however, haven't stated at all clearly exactly why it's supposed to be a Good Idea or what problems (with examples) they are trying to fix.
I think the article pointed to earlier explains very clearly: http://skade.me/blog/2015/fosdem-2015.html Without speaking to that incident at all: * Adding a code of conduct does not affect most people (for 90% of attendees, it's a no-op, thus cost is low) * For attendees it does affect, the effect is to make them feel more comfortable at the conference. For a very small number of attendees, the result is to make them feel less welcome at the conference - in the case where their behaviour is unacceptable. I'm OK with that. * Finally, clear processes make it possible for the conference to effectively deal with incidents which arrive. * "Call 112" is *not* an appropriate response to most of the incidents that can be reported (racist or sexist behaviour, for example, or forms of harrassment that do not break the law). A code of conduct arms organisers with a process to follow, and gives attendees a clear avenue to appeal to if there are serious issues
Neither have any of them supplied a draft content Code of Conduct or explained how it is to be enforced (remembering organisers are volunteers) but simply said "something must be done by someone other than me".
John Sullivan pointed to the LibrePlanet code of conduct as a good example.
I could support a something simple like " Be excellent to each other", "Treat others how you would wish to be treated yourself" or "don't be an asshole" but anything more complex will descent in arguments about trivia, The discussion on this list shows exactly how this will happen. It was obvious this would happen from the first post on the topic.
Allow me to reassure you - "he was mean to me" is not the type of complaints that get made here. We can also trust our community to be discerning about what they report. Thanks, Dave.
On 30 October 2015 at 10:38, Imifos <imifos@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm a bit shocked by the pattern here⦠All resistance against the idea of a Code of Conduct is formulated by mockery, disrespect and/or sarcasm.
On 30 October 2015 at 11:25, Christophe Vandeplas <christophe@vandeplas.com> wrote:
It's funny how some subjects become a repeatable story a few months before FOSDEM .
I've spend many years into organising FOSDEM, and I must say that during this time, I've have learned very interesting things about human behavior.
In the end from what I learned, (but then again I'm not organiser anymore), the best thing will probably be to print the whole Belgian legislation into the FOSDEM Brochure. Fortunately we can exclude the European one, as all EU laws need to be transcribed into local law as I understood.
This Code is definitely more complete than an ad-hoc Code of Conduct written by geeks that are far away from the reality and don't have the experience.
Kind regards Christophe
PS: if the irony is unclear: Let's also publish a FOSDEM driving-rules for the conference ground. I guess that this will definitely clear things out in addition to the Belgian driving rules....
On 29 October 2015 at 23:03, Tom Marble <tmarble@info9.net> wrote:
FOSDEM Organizers:
FOSDEM is a fantastic conference and the only thing I can think of that would make it better is publishing a Code of Conduct:
http://www.sarahmei.com/blog/2015/02/01/the-fosdem-conundrum/
https://twitter.com/fosdem/status/561885201383821312
Will the FOSDEM 2016 edition have a CoC?
--Tom
_______________________________________________ FOSDEM mailing list FOSDEM@lists.fosdem.org https://lists.fosdem.org/listinfo/fosdem
_______________________________________________ FOSDEM mailing list FOSDEM@lists.fosdem.org https://lists.fosdem.org/listinfo/fosdem
_______________________________________________ FOSDEM mailing list FOSDEM@lists.fosdem.org https://lists.fosdem.org/listinfo/fosdem
-- Dave Neary - NFV/SDN Community Strategy Open Source and Standards, Red Hat - http://community.redhat.com Ph: +1-978-399-2182 / Cell: +1-978-799-3338