Disenfranchised by Google
Dear FOSDEM, I'm not sure where the best place to express this is but I understand that FOSDEM accepts sponsorship from Google, so I'm trying here. This year, Google has deliberately broken support for various Free Software applications that I use: Uzbl Web browser; Claws Mail; and NewPipe YouTube client for Android. They have also aggressively encouraged the Web developer community to make changes that break support for minimalist Web browsers – ‘mobile friendly’ websites have become very unfriendly to my browsing experience, with floating elements that obscure most of the screen and don't scroll out of the way. I know that Google do support a lot of good projects through their Summer Of Code and such, but I'm doubtful that this justifies the damage that they are causing to the Web and Free Software. I've got so fed-up of most Web pages looking like a pile of crap, I mean broken overlay elements and text scattered sparsely, that I've actually started exploring Gopherspace recently. Very nice and fast – none of this laggy broken mess that Google pushes! Since earlier this year, every time I launch Claws Mail, I get an authentication error on my Gmail account and my alternate email receives an automated email from Google about a “Critical security alert for your linked Google Account”, requiring review via a Web browser. However, when I login via my Web browser, I get a message saying that I need to use one of the Big Four: Chrome; Firefox; Safari; or IE. I used to use Firefox, but they dropped support for legacy addons (most of which I couldn't find sufficient replacements) and made changes to align with Google's agenda, which seems to be to disenfranchise people like me. After all, Mozilla also accepts a huge amount of sponsorship from Google, and I don't think that it's healthy for the interests of software freedom. I used to be able to watch YouTube using Uzbl-browser or NewPipe, and of course old versions of Firefox. Yes, Firefox is one of the Big Four too, but Google has that covered: they've dropped support for the old versions that I like. I have been using NewPipe to view PeerTube/Framasoft in the meantime whilst I wait for NewPipe to catch-up with Google's changes, but there's not a lot on there that interests me. Also, a few years ago, I noticed that most emails in my Spam folder in Gmail were legitimate and quite a lot of them, and that of these legitimate emails, there was a strong bias towards blocking emails that were more alternative – about sustainability, community, minimalism, or indeed Free Software. Those black-box algorithms are contrary to software freedom. Naturally I wanted to disable Gmail's spam filtering, or at least the 30-day automatic deletions, but there's no option to do either of those. This was my biggest driver for seeking an alternative email provider, eventually settling on one that I'm happy with (Runbox). However, it does still concern me that the freedoms of people who cannot switch to a paid email service for whatever reason are being eroded by Gmail. Maybe they can't afford it, would rather spend the money elsewhere, or maybe it's just too much hassle to switch their email address – that doesn't make it okay for Google to take advantage of them. I see from family members who currently still use Gmail that Google's black-box algorithms have thoroughly invaded the Inbox, with automatic sorting into Social, Promotion, and Important. Given that I was finding some important emails in my Spam folder, I don't trust Google's biases here at all. The general trend is that Google is having a big impact on disenfranchising the minimalist software that I wish to use, and in-turn has a big impact on disenfranchising me as an individual Free Software user. Actually not just as a user – I used to develop an Android application, but there were bugs and other obstacles in the API which I reported at Google Code. The detailed and well-formatted issue reports sat idle for years before eventually being automatically marked as “stale”, and eventually Google killed Code altogether. Later versions of the API actually broke other aspects of my application whilst fixing nothing. I never returned to Android development. Having been disenfranchised both as a Free Software developer and as a Free Software user, it is my view that what is most ‘stale’ here is Google's attitude to software freedom! I've not managed to find any way to complain to Google – their contact/support pages took me round in a circular loop. I was looking-forward to discussing these issues with them at FOSDEM, but it's not on this year, at least not in a way that allows the general public to talk to corporate giants at stalls. Hence why I'm sending this to the main FOSDEM mailing list. I urge FOSDEM to review its future sponsorship deals with Google, as I feel that with their current bad behaviour, endorsing Google unconditionally is contrary to the interests of software freedom. With best intentions and regards, James R. Haigh. -- Wealth doesn't bring happiness, but poverty brings sadness. https://wiki.FSFE.org/Fellows/JRHaigh Sent from Debian with Claws Mail, using email subaddressing as an alternative to error-prone heuristical spam filtering.
On 31/12/2020 00:50, J. R. Haigh wrote:
With best intentions and regards, James R. Haigh. -- Wealth doesn't bring happiness, but poverty brings sadness. https://wiki.FSFE.org/Fellows/JRHaigh Sent from Debian with Claws Mail, using email subaddressing as an alternative to error-prone heuristical spam filtering.
We are not really Fellows any more, FSFE demoted all of us and removed[1] the Fellowship from their constitution. This was done to discredit all of us, but especially me, as Fellows had elected me as your representative. You mention Debian. Debian received two payments of $300,000, total $600,000. One payment was from Handshake Foundation, they refuse to publicly disclose[2] the other payment came from Google. At the same time, on the same day, 20 September 2018, Debian also joined FSFE in seeking to viciously discredit the winner of the FSFE Fellowship election, myself. I notice that the messages we both sent to the FOSDEM mailing list about Google were held in moderation for 2 weeks and only released tonight, 10 January, on a Sunday night. It is likely that date-sorting will hide them from the majority of people. It is an odd coincidence, both of our messages delayed/censored, both of our messages mention a sponsor, Google. My own message is now visible[3] in the archive, please check if it is hidden by algorithms in your inbox. The email I sent is about the safety of women, this is particularly important as multiple women were brave enough to speak up about Google and FSFE in December 2020. Regards, Daniel 1. https://fsfellowship.eu/2018/09/08/who-were-the-fsfe-fellowship.html 2. https://debian.community/google-money-censorship-free-software/ 3. https://lists.fosdem.org/pipermail/fosdem/2020q4/003192.html
Hi Daniel, At 2021-01-10Sun23:44:45+01, Daniel Pocock sent:
[…] I notice that the messages we both sent to the FOSDEM mailing list about Google were held in moderation
Yes, I noticed that too – it was nice to see that when the moderation queue was eventually checked, I was not the only one who had criticised Google and questioned FOSDEM's acceptance of their sponsorship. As I was unaware of your email until last night, it shows that we both raised concern of Google independently, as we've not corresponded with each other since quite a few years prior to this.
for 2 weeks and only released tonight, 10 January, on a Sunday night.
Don't read too much into the timing; people get busier over Christmas and New Year and the moderation check was prompted by me emailing a FOSDEM staff member after a week and a half from having sent my own email.
It is likely that date-sorting will hide them from the majority of people.
Thankfully, though, replies bring them back into the picture for those who missed the delayed messages.
It is an odd coincidence, both of our messages delayed/censored, both of our messages mention a sponsor, Google.
It did cross my mind as to whether FOSDEM might be using Google services somewhere in the pipeline that subjected our alternative/critical messages to the biased algorithms that seem to discriminate against alternative messages. I'm curious to know. Of course, Google's algorithms may well be not involved at all. Google's are not the only algorithms that are causing filter bubbles and discrimination problems – I could list several other giants subtly exerting their power with their black-box algorithms – but Google is having a more direct impact on my life than probably all of its competitors combined. Perhaps because of their semifriendly relationship with the Free Software ecosystem that I've been involved in since 2008, I've therefore been more involved with Google's services in the past 13 years. My old Gmail address is the last Google service that I still sort of depend on transitionally. However, I can't get away from the high prevalence of Gmail accounts in use by other people, and so I'm still subject to Google's black-box discrimination in emails that I send to other people.
My own message is now visible[3] in the archive, please check if it is hidden by algorithms in your inbox.
I disabled all spam filtering possible in Runbox settings shortly after switching a few years ago, and I don't have any spam filtering enabled in Claws Mail either. I use subaddressing as an alternative to heuristics. Your message did of course reach me.
The email I sent is about the safety of women, this is particularly important as multiple women were brave enough to speak up about Google
I didn't know about those issues but it's great that they were brave enough to raise them.
and FSFE in December 2020.
I don't know what's gone wrong here, but there are many people who work hard for the FSFE who I like very much. I don't want to defend any abuse of women, but I don't think it's right that everyone involved with the FSFE be tarred with the same brush. (You seemed to focus on my signature, so I'm coming back to it out-of-order down here now, especially seeing as it follows on here…) At 2021-01-10Sun23:44:45+01, Daniel Pocock sent:
On [30/12/2020 23:50], J. R. Haigh wrote:
With best intentions and regards, James R. Haigh. -- Wealth doesn't bring happiness, but poverty brings sadness. https://wiki.FSFE.org/Fellows/JRHaigh Sent from Debian with Claws Mail, using email subaddressing as an alternative to error-prone heuristical spam filtering.
We are not really Fellows any more, FSFE demoted all of us and removed[1] the Fellowship from their constitution.
I know, but the redirect remains and I don't care to lengthen my signature by changing it to https://wiki.FSFE.org/Supporters/JRHaigh , especially seeing as I too liked the FSFE Fellowship.
This was done to discredit all of us, but especially me, as Fellows had elected me as your representative.
I vaguely remember you telling me years ago. I'm not sure where we go from here, though. We can't change the past. Google is causing us problems right now though, so I think that it's better to focus on Google.
You mention Debian. Debian received two payments of $300,000, total $600,000. One payment was from Handshake Foundation, they refuse to publicly disclose[2] the other payment came from Google.
And I notice that you mentioned in your other email that FSFE receives funding from Google too. I was not explicitly aware of either of those (or had forgotten maybe), but it also doesn't surprise me much as I am vaguely aware that Google has their fingers in a lot of pies in the Free Software community and elsewhere. It's absolutely nothing to Google's billions to splash around a few hundred thousand dollars here and there, yet it gives them a lot of influence over these relatively small organisations, projects, and individuals. I think that it's unfair to compare Google and FSFE or Debian as equals. If a nasty problem is to be exported between Google and another organisation, and that organisation is not another giant, then most likely Google is the one exporting the problem to the nongiant. It doesn't justify the problem for the smaller organisation but if you want to tackle it then you surely ought to focus on the giant. Also, I imagine that things like corporate espionage or successful covert smears are virtually impossible going from a tiny organisation to a giant, whereas the reverse seems very likely. So I'm inclined to examine the details of the allegations against the smaller organisation more thoroughly, as the giants have excellent capacity to convincingly master false details. Even Mozilla, which is pretty huge but accepts huge amounts of funding from Google and seems to follow Google's regime – I would say that Mozilla is still the much lesser evil as compared to Google.
At the same time, on the same day, 20 September 2018, Debian also joined FSFE in seeking to viciously discredit the winner of the FSFE Fellowship election, myself.
Curious!! But again, I'm not sure what to do about it now. Meanwhile, Google is continuing to cause me daily problems. Most emails that I send (of which a majority are to Gmail addresses) don't get a reply and I don't get immediate feedback, if at all, of whether my message has gone to their spam/junk folders. This is especially a problem during the lockdowns as I'm having much less opportunity to ask people whether they received my emails. The silent exclusion dictated by these black-box algorithms is hard-felt, now. Most websites that I visit from search results, some of which I cannot avoid, work against my minimalist browsing patterns, as a direct or indirect result of Google's analytics, advertising, ReCAPTCHA v2 and especially v3, SEO, or Material guidelines for a particularly rigid vision of mobile browsing designed to immerse but which I find stressfully claustrophobic, as if up-close with obfuscated ‘micronavigation’, and especially claustrophobic when floating elements obscure a majority of the screen, which happens quite often now. Desktop mode tends to help me avoid the claustrophobic navigation where available, but even then, this doesn't eliminate floating elements or filters or most of the other issues. Many years ago I had an argument about accessibility with a local Web developer who said that she would override desktop mode if she could. The Big Four browsers allow accessibility to be almost entirely at the mercy of the Web developer, not the user in need of it. That's not software freedom. Both Google's influence on email and Google's influence on the Web are daily problems for me, and I suppose that the Android problems are too, seeing as I'm not in a position to fix daily irritations of my OCD, like disappearing scrollbars, or floating action buttons obscuring the text or whatever underneath them. Google has dictated these Material interface features into my life and they simply don't work for me. Not just Material design, the low-power and critical-power notifications waking the screen to tell my pocket so and stays on until either I notice or I lose my last 15% or 5% of battery charge to a warmed pocket, especially quickly if I last used the camera. Background applications that I'm using being killed. The list goes on, and I simply don't have the capacity to fix these problems myself. Even when I've been thoroughly focused on getting into Android development many years ago (2012), Google made me more new problems than the problems that I had managed to solve for myself. They are a powerhouse producing a torrent of changes that work in their own profit-driven interests, which are typically contrary to software freedom. Best regards, James. -- Wealth doesn't bring happiness, but poverty brings sadness. https://wiki.FSFE.org/Fellows/JRHaigh Sent from Debian with Claws Mail, using email subaddressing as an alternative to error-prone heuristical spam filtering.
Hi James, I agree with your criticism towards Google. But the same can be said about Microsoft. Even about Red Hat. And about so many other corporate sponsors. I, personally, disagree with your conclusion. And think it's a good thing that FOSDEM is funded as much as possible by nearly any organisation who wishes to contribute. Google, like most sponsors, look at the FOSDEM visitors as potential employees, and that's ok. People are wise enough to decide if they want to work for an organisation with mixed messages towards our philosophy. Maybe that highlights something missing a little bit in the current FOSDEM line, and that are the philosophical reflections. FOSDEM has in the past only made exceptions for a few high profile leaders, but as our software touches so many corners of society, a focus on just that - and a platform to enable discussion about that and different view points - might be lacking a little bit. I might be biased with respect to this subject; I've been doing Linux consultancy work since 1998 for companies who often had very little understanding of the community and where almost always primarily motivated by profit (as one can expect in a capitalistic world). But almost no company is 'black or white'. I think the funding of FOSDEM by Google is one of the very good allocations of their money, and would be sad if that would be lost for our community. Call me an 'opportunist' if you want, but it isn't all bad ;) Grtz, Jasper -- Jasper Nuyens Managing Director, Linux Belgium http://www.linuxbe.com Phone: +32 (0)2 747 47 01 Fax: +32 (0)2 747 47 10 GSM: +32 (0)478 978967 On Sun, Jan 10, 2021 at 9:02 PM J. R. Haigh <JRHaigh+ML.FOSDEM@fsfe.org> wrote:
Dear FOSDEM, I'm not sure where the best place to express this is but I understand that FOSDEM accepts sponsorship from Google, so I'm trying here. This year, Google has deliberately broken support for various Free Software applications that I use: Uzbl Web browser; Claws Mail; and NewPipe YouTube client for Android. They have also aggressively encouraged the Web developer community to make changes that break support for minimalist Web browsers – ‘mobile friendly’ websites have become very unfriendly to my browsing experience, with floating elements that obscure most of the screen and don't scroll out of the way. I know that Google do support a lot of good projects through their Summer Of Code and such, but I'm doubtful that this justifies the damage that they are causing to the Web and Free Software. I've got so fed-up of most Web pages looking like a pile of crap, I mean broken overlay elements and text scattered sparsely, that I've actually started exploring Gopherspace recently. Very nice and fast – none of this laggy broken mess that Google pushes! Since earlier this year, every time I launch Claws Mail, I get an authentication error on my Gmail account and my alternate email receives an automated email from Google about a “Critical security alert for your linked Google Account”, requiring review via a Web browser. However, when I login via my Web browser, I get a message saying that I need to use one of the Big Four: Chrome; Firefox; Safari; or IE. I used to use Firefox, but they dropped support for legacy addons (most of which I couldn't find sufficient replacements) and made changes to align with Google's agenda, which seems to be to disenfranchise people like me. After all, Mozilla also accepts a huge amount of sponsorship from Google, and I don't think that it's healthy for the interests of software freedom. I used to be able to watch YouTube using Uzbl-browser or NewPipe, and of course old versions of Firefox. Yes, Firefox is one of the Big Four too, but Google has that covered: they've dropped support for the old versions that I like. I have been using NewPipe to view PeerTube/Framasoft in the meantime whilst I wait for NewPipe to catch-up with Google's changes, but there's not a lot on there that interests me. Also, a few years ago, I noticed that most emails in my Spam folder in Gmail were legitimate and quite a lot of them, and that of these legitimate emails, there was a strong bias towards blocking emails that were more alternative – about sustainability, community, minimalism, or indeed Free Software. Those black-box algorithms are contrary to software freedom. Naturally I wanted to disable Gmail's spam filtering, or at least the 30-day automatic deletions, but there's no option to do either of those. This was my biggest driver for seeking an alternative email provider, eventually settling on one that I'm happy with (Runbox). However, it does still concern me that the freedoms of people who cannot switch to a paid email service for whatever reason are being eroded by Gmail. Maybe they can't afford it, would rather spend the money elsewhere, or maybe it's just too much hassle to switch their email address – that doesn't make it okay for Google to take advantage of them. I see from family members who currently still use Gmail that Google's black-box algorithms have thoroughly invaded the Inbox, with automatic sorting into Social, Promotion, and Important. Given that I was finding some important emails in my Spam folder, I don't trust Google's biases here at all. The general trend is that Google is having a big impact on disenfranchising the minimalist software that I wish to use, and in-turn has a big impact on disenfranchising me as an individual Free Software user. Actually not just as a user – I used to develop an Android application, but there were bugs and other obstacles in the API which I reported at Google Code. The detailed and well-formatted issue reports sat idle for years before eventually being automatically marked as “stale”, and eventually Google killed Code altogether. Later versions of the API actually broke other aspects of my application whilst fixing nothing. I never returned to Android development. Having been disenfranchised both as a Free Software developer and as a Free Software user, it is my view that what is most ‘stale’ here is Google's attitude to software freedom! I've not managed to find any way to complain to Google – their contact/support pages took me round in a circular loop. I was looking-forward to discussing these issues with them at FOSDEM, but it's not on this year, at least not in a way that allows the general public to talk to corporate giants at stalls. Hence why I'm sending this to the main FOSDEM mailing list. I urge FOSDEM to review its future sponsorship deals with Google, as I feel that with their current bad behaviour, endorsing Google unconditionally is contrary to the interests of software freedom.
With best intentions and regards, James R. Haigh. -- Wealth doesn't bring happiness, but poverty brings sadness. https://wiki.FSFE.org/Fellows/JRHaigh Sent from Debian with Claws Mail, using email subaddressing as an alternative to error-prone heuristical spam filtering. _______________________________________________ FOSDEM mailing list FOSDEM@lists.fosdem.org https://lists.fosdem.org/listinfo/fosdem
Hi Jasper, FOSDEM, all, At 2021-01-11Mon12:48:58+01, Jasper Nuyens sent:
I agree with your criticism towards Google. But the same can be said about Microsoft. Even about Red Hat. And about so many other corporate sponsors.
Indeed there are others. I chose to focus on Google as they are having greater impact on my daily life than all of the others combined – through their strong grip on email, Web, and Android.
I, personally, disagree with your conclusion. And think it's a good thing that FOSDEM is funded as much as possible by nearly any organisation who wishes to contribute.
Maybe I do to. I'm just looking desperately for a way to influence Google back! I turned to FOSDEM because they are a bridge between the Free Software community and Google. By questioning their endorsement, it would eventually get a message back to Google that it's not okay to keep impacting people (especially the same people), and sending them around in circles when they try to complain – dizzyingly frustrating!! I tried to be as sensitive as possible by calling for /review/ of the sponsorship relationship. Particularly, are there circumstances under which FOSDEM can hold a sponsor to account if they harm the community? Can they withdraw at any time? What conditions does Google impose? Hmm, I made the assumption that the current relationship is unconditional. Perhaps it's not. Perhaps there are conditions already, but those of Google. FOSDEM, please can you publicly-disclose the terms of your sponsorship agreement with Google?
Google, like most sponsors, look at the FOSDEM visitors as potential employees,
I'm well aware of that from the numerous job offers that I've seen at FOSDEM.
and that's ok. People are wise enough to decide if they want to work for an organisation with mixed messages towards our philosophy.
Providing that they know. And if FOSDEM is to represent the Free Software community in any way then they have a responsibility to allow people to challenge misbehaviours of their sponsors.
[…]
Having just noticed Pjotr's request for partial censorship, I'm going to leave it here. Thank you to all who listened! Best regards, James. -- Wealth doesn't bring happiness, but poverty brings sadness. https://wiki.FSFE.org/Fellows/JRHaigh Sent from Debian with Claws Mail, using email subaddressing as an alternative to error-prone heuristical spam filtering.
Op 11/01/2021 om 19:56 schreef J. R. Haigh:
Providing that they know. And if FOSDEM is to represent the Free Software community in any way then they have a responsibility to allow people to challenge misbehaviours of their sponsors.
As far as I can tell, no one from FOSDEM has lifted a finger to try and stop you from saying what you are saying. Someone suggested this isn't the place to discuss these matters. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. I think this mailinglist is what the suscribers make of it. Having been a member of the core organizing team (I'm not anymore), I can say this: We obviously didn't agree with everything said on the list, nor did we disagree with everything. But we've never tried to stop a discussion. I doubt that attitude has changed. The relationship with sponsors was (and as far as I know, still is): sponsors give us money and in return they get some room for "advertising". They do not have a say in content, nor do they get a booth or whatever (at least not because they are sponsors; it does happen that a sponsor has a booth, but that's on the merits of the booth, not because of money). Personally, I've never seen sponsorship at FOSDEM as an endorsement of any kind. They just "buy" a little space at the infodesk and in the booklet. If BMW wants to do that (which happened once): fine. If google wants to do that: also fine. If someone wants to spend alot of money to have a little corner in the booklet to wish his mother a happy birthday: whatever floats your boat. As long as in your relationship with FOSDEM as a sponsor, you don't colour outside the lines. FOSDEM is a conference is for open source developpers. I don't think it's FOSDEM's place to try and say who are "the good guys" and who are "the bad guys". Just as it isn't FOSDEM's place to try and prevent someone else to do so (provided they do it in a civil way, that doesn't disrupt the event or causes some kind of physical danger or something). But again, this is my opinion. Other people might have other opinions. Koert
Thanks Koert. I have helped with the organization since OSDEM (= the very first edition, on the Plaine campus) in 2000. I fully agree with your position and wording. « FOSDEM is a conference is for free and open source developers. I don't think it's FOSDEM's place to try and say who are "the good guys" and who are "the bad guys". Just as it isn't FOSDEM's place to try and prevent someone else to do so (provided they do it in a civil way, that doesn't disrupt the event or causes some kind of physical danger or something). But again, this is my opinion. Other people might have other opinions. » Best regards, Nicolas -- *Nicolas Pettiaux*,phd - gsm +32.496.24.55.01 - nicolas@pettiaux.be
Hi, just my 2c: maybe it's time to bump up the visibility of the donations page instead? I mean, not everyone has money to spare, and I wouldn't want to suggest they have to. But the more donations are taken, the less sponsorship is necessary, and the less this kind of discussion has to happen. This would provide for some kind of organic middle ground emerging. I sincerely doubt that donations will make all that difference, but would be happy to be proven wrong. But since I was just looking for a donation page and had to go through a couple of pages before finding an IBAN, I can with certainty tell you that donating could be easier! You can even make donations a "sponsorship light" - similar to how on petition websites you can agree to have your name published, and how on crowdfunding sites you can choose a funding level. The downside of this is either manual effort (ugh) or interfacing with some kind of immediate payment provider (ugh). Just throwing some ideas here, nobody has to feel obliged to pick them up :) Jens On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 10:44:43PM +0100, Nicolas Pettiaux wrote:
Thanks Koert. I have helped with the organization since OSDEM (= the very first edition, on the Plaine campus) in 2000.
I fully agree with your position and wording.
« FOSDEM is a conference is for free and open source developers. I don't think it's FOSDEM's place to try and say who are "the good guys" and who are "the bad guys". Just as it isn't FOSDEM's place to try and prevent someone else to do so (provided they do it in a civil way, that doesn't disrupt the event or causes some kind of physical danger or something). But again, this is my opinion. Other people might have other opinions. »
Best regards,
Nicolas
-- *Nicolas Pettiaux*,phd - gsm +32.496.24.55.01 - nicolas@pettiaux.be
begin:vcard fn:Nicolas Pettiaux n:Pettiaux;Nicolas org;quoted-printable;quoted-printable:Haute-=C3=A9cole Bruxelles-Brabant;=C3=89cole sup=C3=A9rieure d'informatique adr;quoted-printable:;;Chauss=C3=A9e de Waterloo 747;Bruxelles;;1000;Belgique email;internet:nicolas@pettiaux.be title;quoted-printable:Ma=C3=AEtre-assistant tel;cell:+32 496 24 55 01 note;quoted-printable:Pr=C3=A9sident educode x-mozilla-html:TRUE url:https://he2b.be version:2.1 end:vcard
_______________________________________________ FOSDEM mailing list FOSDEM@lists.fosdem.org https://lists.fosdem.org/listinfo/fosdem
-- 1.21 Jiggabytes of memory ought to be enough for anybody.
Hi Koert, At 2021-01-11Mon21:34:47+01, Koert Loret sent:
As far as I can tell, no one from FOSDEM has lifted a finger to try and stop you from saying what you are saying.
Nearly 10 months of lockdowns have increased the impact of missing or delayed messages. I had noticed that my previous message at the time had not made it to the list after over half an hour. This absence followed Pjotr's message calling for an end to the discussion, so I admit that I got a little panicked in writing that message. That one got delayed too, and I also noticed a message from Daniel to the list that I and some others involved in this discussion had been CC'd on its second attempt had not actually made it to the list. But in the next hour, they all got released, so I guess it was ‘just’ an overactive spam filter, again. I'm sorry for any hard feelings to the FOSDEM team. I don't mean to offend anyone on this list. I suppose that I don't even mean to offend Google, really. I just want them to stop encroaching on my life in ways that I cannot get away from. Best regards, James. -- Wealth doesn't bring happiness, but poverty brings sadness. https://wiki.FSFE.org/Fellows/JRHaigh Sent from NixOS with Claws Mail, using email subaddressing as an alternative to error-prone heuristical spam filtering.
At 2021-01-11Mon22:59:51+00, J. R. Haigh sent:
[…] I just want them to stop encroaching on my life in ways that I cannot get away from.
For the record, this oneway email from Google is what I still get almost each day that I try to access my Gmail account (account details redacted): At 2021-01-10Sun00:56:02GMT, Google <no-reply@accounts.google.com> sent:
Your account <recovery email address> is listed as the recovery email for <Gmail address>. Don't recognise this account? Click here <https://accounts.google.com /AccountDisavow?adt=REDACTED> [image: Google] Sign-in attempt was blocked for your linked Google Account
<Gmail address> Someone just used your password to try to sign in to your account from a non-Google app. Google blocked them, but you should check what happened. Review your account activity to make sure that no one else has access. Check activity <https://accounts.google.com /AccountChooser?Email=<Gmail address>&continue=https://myaccount.google.com/alert/nt/REDACTED> You can also see security activity https://myaccount.google.com/notifications You received this email to let you know about important changes to your Google Account and services. © 2020 Google LLC, 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA
This started happening early 2020 (circa March) when they decided that “non-Google” applications should be blocked by default. That in itself is bad enough for software freedom, but at the same time (as far as I'm aware) the account activity settings were removed on the Free Software browsers that I use, which either prevents me from reviewing my account activity or forces me to use software which I do not wish to use. I suppose that the next step is to write to their USA postal address about it. I've had to start using postal mail a lot more during the lockdowns, so it's about time that I learn what stamps I need in order to send international mail. If I get nowhere with that then I'll consider sponsoring a future FOSDEM myself to raise awareness of issues that I've been unable to resolve by then, and in doing so, helping to support FOSDEM too. I really like FOSDEM. I mean you all no harm. Best regards, James. -- Wealth doesn't bring happiness, but poverty brings sadness. https://wiki.FSFE.org/Fellows/JRHaigh Sent from Debian with Claws Mail, using email subaddressing as an alternative to error-prone heuristical spam filtering. (
[…] Sent from NixOS with Claws Mail, using email subaddressing as an alternative to error-prone heuristical spam filtering.
P.s.: I've not actually used NixOS for a few years; this mistake was due to an old preset that I was unable to fix while I still had a compose window open, and forgot to correct manually that time.)
participants (8)
-
Being not bad is not the same doing good -
Daniel Pocock -
J. R. Haigh -
J. R. Haigh -
Jasper Nuyens -
Jens Finkhaeuser -
Koert Loret -
Nicolas Pettiaux