Hi, just my 2c: maybe it's time to bump up the visibility of the donations page instead? I mean, not everyone has money to spare, and I wouldn't want to suggest they have to. But the more donations are taken, the less sponsorship is necessary, and the less this kind of discussion has to happen. This would provide for some kind of organic middle ground emerging. I sincerely doubt that donations will make all that difference, but would be happy to be proven wrong. But since I was just looking for a donation page and had to go through a couple of pages before finding an IBAN, I can with certainty tell you that donating could be easier! You can even make donations a "sponsorship light" - similar to how on petition websites you can agree to have your name published, and how on crowdfunding sites you can choose a funding level. The downside of this is either manual effort (ugh) or interfacing with some kind of immediate payment provider (ugh). Just throwing some ideas here, nobody has to feel obliged to pick them up :) Jens On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 10:44:43PM +0100, Nicolas Pettiaux wrote:
Thanks Koert. I have helped with the organization since OSDEM (= the very first edition, on the Plaine campus) in 2000.
I fully agree with your position and wording.
« FOSDEM is a conference is for free and open source developers. I don't think it's FOSDEM's place to try and say who are "the good guys" and who are "the bad guys". Just as it isn't FOSDEM's place to try and prevent someone else to do so (provided they do it in a civil way, that doesn't disrupt the event or causes some kind of physical danger or something). But again, this is my opinion. Other people might have other opinions. »
Best regards,
Nicolas
-- *Nicolas Pettiaux*,phd - gsm +32.496.24.55.01 - nicolas@pettiaux.be
begin:vcard fn:Nicolas Pettiaux n:Pettiaux;Nicolas org;quoted-printable;quoted-printable:Haute-=C3=A9cole Bruxelles-Brabant;=C3=89cole sup=C3=A9rieure d'informatique adr;quoted-printable:;;Chauss=C3=A9e de Waterloo 747;Bruxelles;;1000;Belgique email;internet:nicolas@pettiaux.be title;quoted-printable:Ma=C3=AEtre-assistant tel;cell:+32 496 24 55 01 note;quoted-printable:Pr=C3=A9sident educode x-mozilla-html:TRUE url:https://he2b.be version:2.1 end:vcard
_______________________________________________ FOSDEM mailing list FOSDEM@lists.fosdem.org https://lists.fosdem.org/listinfo/fosdem
-- 1.21 Jiggabytes of memory ought to be enough for anybody.