Hi all, I'm Clarista, a member of the Mozilla's community, and the author of www.bonjourmozilla.com . I'd like to propose you a presentation I could do during the Fosdem: a presentation about FLOSS and Average Jane or Joe = why we need to reach the whole public, to explain the FLOSS 'philosophy... Because people don't know the ideal that is behind FLOSS. And because "normal" people can do a lot of things to help to spread FLOSS. So I'd like also to give some ideas of easy contributions towards the public. Do you think it would be possible to do this presentation? Maybe I can have a while in the Mozilla's room, but I wonder if it doesn't go further than Mozilla, since it concerns FLOSS in general. Best regards, Clarista
On 2012-01-06 15:11:42 (+0100), claire corgnou <clarista.mozilla@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all, I'm Clarista, a member of the Mozilla's community, and the author of www.bonjourmozilla.com .
Hi Clarista
I'd like to propose you a presentation I could do during the Fosdem: a presentation about FLOSS and Average Jane or Joe = why we need to reach the whole public, to explain the FLOSS 'philosophy... Because people don't know the ideal that is behind FLOSS. And because "normal" people can do a lot of things to help to spread FLOSS. So I'd like also to give some ideas of easy contributions towards the public.
Do you think it would be possible to do this presentation?
Hmmm... Well, our main track schedule is already full, but we will most probably have one speaker whom will have to cancel, in the Community track, so that would fit nicely in there. But actually, I'm not sure the focus, or rather, the target audience would fit. I would say that more than 90% of the people who attend FOSDEM are already active contributors to FOSS projects so most of them certainly already know what it is, what it means, and how to contribute. If you do have a few interesting ideas or edges, or even better, experience with how to bring forward those ideas and reach out to a broader audience and gain contributors, that might indeed be on topic and appropriate for the typical audience of FOSDEM. As said though, I first need to clarify whether a slot in the Community track actually becomes available or not. I should know and tell you after this weekend, but it's highly likely.
Maybe I can have a while in the Mozilla's room, but I wonder if it doesn't go further than Mozilla, since it concerns FLOSS in general.
True. In any case, thanks for your proposal :) Let's please discuss the points I mentioned above (no need to CC the list for that, I just do it with this email to let my fellow team members know your email is being taken care of :)), and I will definitely stay in touch to let you know whether there is an opening in the first place. cheers -- Pascal Bleser <loki@fosdem.org> http://fosdem.org/ FOSDEM 2012 ::: 4 + 5 February 2012 in Brussels, Belgium Free and Opensource Software Developers European Meeting
On 01/06/2012 03:33 PM, Pascal Bleser wrote: On 2012-01-06 15:11:42 (+0100), claire corgnou <clarista.mozilla@gmail.com> <mailto:clarista.mozilla@gmail.com> wrote: I'd like to propose you a presentation I could do during the Fosdem: a presentation about FLOSS and Average Jane or Joe = why we need to reach the whole public, to explain the FLOSS 'philosophy... Because people don't know the ideal that is behind FLOSS. And because "normal" people can do a lot of things to help to spread FLOSS. So I'd like also to give some ideas of easy contributions towards the public. Do you think it would be possible to do this presentation? [...] If you do have a few interesting ideas or edges, or even better, experience with how to bring forward those ideas and reach out to a broader audience and gain contributors, that might indeed be on topic and appropriate for the typical audience of FOSDEM. I hope I can chime in here and support the idea to highlight the importance of recruiting "normal people"! And if I could, I would like to ask Claire for some special advice on how we can improve our efforts in EPFSUG to reach out in the European Parliament. We have thousands of normal people working here :-) We'll hopefully bring some beautiful t-shirts with our brand new supercute mascot Edge the Hedgehog, but I'm sure there is lots of stuff we have not thought of yet! Best regards. //Erik -- Erik Josefsson Advisor on Internet Policies Greens/EFA Group <http://www.greens-efa.eu/36-details/josefsson-erik-138.html> GSM: +32484082063 BXL: PHS 04C075 TEL: +3222832667 SBG: WIC M03005 TEL: +33388173776
Hi, On Fri, Jan 06, 2012 at 03:11:42PM +0100, claire corgnou wrote:
I'm Clarista, a member of the Mozilla's community, and the author of www.bonjourmozilla.com .
Hrm. $ host www.bonjourmozilla.com Host www.bonjourmozilla.com not found: 3(NXDOMAIN) Do you mean www.bonjourmozilla.org? Kind regards, Axel -- /~\ Plain Text Ribbon Campaign | Axel Beckert \ / Say No to HTML in E-Mail and News | abe@deuxchevaux.org (Mail) X See http://www.asciiribbon.org/ | abe@noone.org (Mail+Jabber) / \ I love long mails: http://email.is-not-s.ms/ | http://noone.org/abe/ (Web)
Yes, that's www.bonjourmozilla.org !! Sorry ;-) Le 6 janvier 2012 17:18, Axel Beckert <abe@deuxchevaux.org> a écrit :
Hi,
On Fri, Jan 06, 2012 at 03:11:42PM +0100, claire corgnou wrote:
I'm Clarista, a member of the Mozilla's community, and the author of www.bonjourmozilla.com .
Hrm.
$ host www.bonjourmozilla.com Host www.bonjourmozilla.com not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
Do you mean www.bonjourmozilla.org?
Kind regards, Axel -- /~\ Plain Text Ribbon Campaign | Axel Beckert \ / Say No to HTML in E-Mail and News | abe@deuxchevaux.org (Mail) X See http://www.asciiribbon.org/ | abe@noone.org(Mail+Jabber) / \ I love long mails: http://email.is-not-s.ms/ | http://noone.org/abe/(Web) _______________________________________________ FOSDEM mailing list FOSDEM@lists.fosdem.org https://lists.fosdem.org/listinfo/fosdem
On 2012-01-06 15:11:42 (+0100), claire corgnou <clarista.mozilla@gmail.com> wrote:
I'd like to propose you a presentation I could do during the Fosdem: a presentation about FLOSS and Average Jane or Joe = why we need to reach the whole public, to explain the FLOSS 'philosophy... Because people don't know the ideal that is behind FLOSS. And because "normal" people can do a lot of things to help to spread FLOSS. So I'd like also to give some ideas of easy contributions towards the public.
It's not clear to me what the target audience of your presentation is. If the target audience is 'Average Jane or Joe', it's a lot like preaching to the converted at FOSDEM: we're all convinced of open source already; so convinced in fact that we develop open source software (not the D in FOSDEM). If the intent is to instruct developers in how to better communicate with "muggles" on the other hand, it might fit in the "Community" track if there's room for it on the schedule.
Do you think it would be possible to do this presentation?
Everything is possible. - Philip -- Philip Paeps Senior Reality Engineer Ministry of Information
The target of this presentation would be the "geeks" :D I'd like to convince them they need Average Jane or Joe, so I'd like to convince them to welcome Average Jane or Joe, and to learn geeks how to speak to them. You know, I am an Average Jane, and it has been quite difficult to me to enter the community. Difficult, but not impossible! And now, I simply love FLOSS. So I'd like to explain how Mozillians managed to catch my attention. Am I clear? :-) Cheers, Clarista 2012/1/6 Philip Paeps <philip@fosdem.org>
I'd like to propose you a presentation I could do during the Fosdem: a presentation about FLOSS and Average Jane or Joe = why we need to reach
On 2012-01-06 15:11:42 (+0100), claire corgnou <clarista.mozilla@gmail.com> wrote: the
whole public, to explain the FLOSS 'philosophy... Because people don't know the ideal that is behind FLOSS. And because "normal" people can do a lot of things to help to spread FLOSS. So I'd like also to give some ideas of easy contributions towards the public.
It's not clear to me what the target audience of your presentation is. If the target audience is 'Average Jane or Joe', it's a lot like preaching to the converted at FOSDEM: we're all convinced of open source already; so convinced in fact that we develop open source software (not the D in FOSDEM). If the intent is to instruct developers in how to better communicate with "muggles" on the other hand, it might fit in the "Community" track if there's room for it on the schedule.
Do you think it would be possible to do this presentation?
Everything is possible.
- Philip
-- Philip Paeps Senior Reality Engineer Ministry of Information
On 2012-01-06 18:01:05 (+0100), claire corgnou <clarista.mozilla@gmail.com> wrote:
2012/1/6 Philip Paeps <philip@fosdem.org>
On 2012-01-06 15:11:42 (+0100), claire corgnou <clarista.mozilla@gmail.com> wrote:
I'd like to propose you a presentation I could do during the Fosdem: a presentation about FLOSS and Average Jane or Joe = why we need to reach the whole public, to explain the FLOSS 'philosophy... Because people don't know the ideal that is behind FLOSS. And because "normal" people can do a lot of things to help to spread FLOSS. So I'd like also to give some ideas of easy contributions towards the public.
It's not clear to me what the target audience of your presentation is. If the target audience is 'Average Jane or Joe', it's a lot like preaching to the converted at FOSDEM: we're all convinced of open source already; so convinced in fact that we develop open source software (not the D in FOSDEM). If the intent is to instruct developers in how to better communicate with "muggles" on the other hand, it might fit in the "Community" track if there's room for it on the schedule.
The target of this presentation would be the "geeks" :D I'd like to convince them they need Average Jane or Joe, so I'd like to convince them to welcome Average Jane or Joe, and to learn geeks how to speak to them.
Sounds valid for the "Community" track then. I see Pascal has also followed up. He knows more about the schedule than I do.
You know, I am an Average Jane, and it has been quite difficult to me to enter the community. Difficult, but not impossible! And now, I simply love FLOSS. So I'd like to explain how Mozillians managed to catch my attention.
Am I clear? :-)
Quite. I look forward to learning more about Mozillian magnetism. - Philip -- Philip Paeps Senior Reality Engineer Ministry of Information
It's not really Mozilla's magnetism... Maybe more my boyfriend's magnetism ;-) BUT: it's true that the Parisian community has taken time to explain me what FLOSS is, and to involve me. More than my boyfriend who is unable to explain what he is doing... 2012/1/6 Philip Paeps <philip@fosdem.org>
2012/1/6 Philip Paeps <philip@fosdem.org>
On 2012-01-06 15:11:42 (+0100), claire corgnou < clarista.mozilla@gmail.com> wrote:
I'd like to propose you a presentation I could do during the Fosdem: a presentation about FLOSS and Average Jane or Joe = why we need to reach the whole public, to explain the FLOSS 'philosophy... Because people don't know the ideal that is behind FLOSS. And because "normal"
can do a lot of things to help to spread FLOSS. So I'd like also to give some ideas of easy contributions towards the public.
It's not clear to me what the target audience of your presentation is. If the target audience is 'Average Jane or Joe', it's a lot like
On 2012-01-06 18:01:05 (+0100), claire corgnou <clarista.mozilla@gmail.com> wrote: people preaching to
the converted at FOSDEM: we're all convinced of open source already; so convinced in fact that we develop open source software (not the D in FOSDEM). If the intent is to instruct developers in how to better communicate with "muggles" on the other hand, it might fit in the "Community" track if there's room for it on the schedule.
The target of this presentation would be the "geeks" :D I'd like to convince them they need Average Jane or Joe, so I'd like to convince them to welcome Average Jane or Joe, and to learn geeks how to speak to them.
Sounds valid for the "Community" track then. I see Pascal has also followed up. He knows more about the schedule than I do.
You know, I am an Average Jane, and it has been quite difficult to me to enter the community. Difficult, but not impossible! And now, I simply love FLOSS. So I'd like to explain how Mozillians managed to catch my attention.
Am I clear? :-)
Quite. I look forward to learning more about Mozillian magnetism.
- Philip
-- Philip Paeps Senior Reality Engineer Ministry of Information
2012/1/6 Philip Paeps <philip@fosdem.org>
On 2012-01-06 15:11:42 (+0100), claire corgnou <clarista.mozilla@gmail.com> wrote:
I'd like to propose you a presentation I could do during the Fosdem: a presentation about FLOSS and Average Jane or Joe = why we need to reach the whole public, to explain the FLOSS 'philosophy... Because people don't know the ideal that is behind FLOSS. And because "normal"
can do a lot of things to help to spread FLOSS. So I'd like also to give some ideas of easy contributions towards the public.
It's not clear to me what the target audience of your presentation is. If the target audience is 'Average Jane or Joe', it's a lot like
Hi, the FLOSS revolution started some years ago .... but without a big bang .... its a silent, but growing revolution The revolutions in 1789 and 1968 started with a big bang but I cannot tell you when the FLOSS revolution started :-P Starting 1984 we had an oldtimer in community projects, so maybe this may count ?-) regards, uli ;-) -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht----- Von: fosdem-bounces@lists.fosdem.org [mailto:fosdem-bounces@lists.fosdem.org] Im Auftrag von claire corgnou Gesendet: Freitag, 6. Januar 2012 18:13 An: claire corgnou; fosdem@lists.fosdem.org Betreff: Re: [FOSDEM] Proposition of presentation It's not really Mozilla's magnetism... Maybe more my boyfriend's magnetism ;-) BUT: it's true that the Parisian community has taken time to explain me what FLOSS is, and to involve me. More than my boyfriend who is unable to explain what he is doing... 2012/1/6 Philip Paeps <philip@fosdem.org> On 2012-01-06 18:01:05 (+0100), claire corgnou <clarista.mozilla@gmail.com> wrote: people preaching to
the converted at FOSDEM: we're all convinced of open source already; so convinced in fact that we develop open source software (not the D in FOSDEM). If the intent is to instruct developers in how to better communicate with "muggles" on the other hand, it might fit in the "Community" track if there's room for it on the schedule.
The target of this presentation would be the "geeks" :D I'd like to convince them they need Average Jane or Joe, so I'd like to convince them to welcome Average Jane or Joe, and to learn geeks how to speak to them.
Sounds valid for the "Community" track then. I see Pascal has also followed up. He knows more about the schedule than I do.
You know, I am an Average Jane, and it has been quite difficult to me to enter the community. Difficult, but not impossible! And now, I simply love FLOSS. So I'd like to explain how Mozillians managed to catch my attention.
Am I clear? :-)
Quite. I look forward to learning more about Mozillian magnetism. - Philip -- Philip Paeps Senior Reality Engineer Ministry of Information
On 2012-01-06 19:15:49 (+0100), ulrich@cacert.org <ulrich@cacert.org> wrote:
the FLOSS revolution started some years ago .... but without a big bang .... its a silent, but growing revolution
Dentists have been recommending floss since the early 19th century.
The revolutions in 1789 and 1968 started with a big bang but I cannot tell you when the FLOSS revolution started :-P
I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds it somewhat upsetting that you compare the peaceful development of open source software for the benefit of all to a violent uprising against authority which led directly to one of the bloodiest periods in human history.
Starting 1984 we had an oldtimer in community projects, so maybe this may count ?-)
FOSDEM really is not the place for politics or revolutions and while I'm sure there are some parallels that can be drawn between French revolutionaries and unnamed members of the Free Software Foundation, even I wouldn't go as far as comparing them to a reign of terror. I think we should further the cause of open source sofware by producing better software. While civil unrest and revolution have their place in the human experience, I'd rather not try either of them at FOSDEM. Please leave your pitchforks and torches at home. Bring a laptop instead. - Philip -- Philip Paeps Senior Reality Engineer Ministry of Information
On 2012-01-06 15:11:42 (+0100), claire corgnou <clarista.mozilla@gmail.com> wrote:
[...] to explain the FLOSS 'philosophy... [...]
I feel I should also point out that this makes it sound a lot like it's aimed at people with smelly teeth. - Philip -- Philip Paeps Senior Reality Engineer Ministry of Information
participants (6)
-
Axel Beckert -
claire corgnou -
JOSEFSSON Erik -
Pascal Bleser -
Philip Paeps -
ulrich@cacert.org