[IPv6] FOSDEM mail servers
Hi All, Since we had a totally IPv6 network, I'd just like to point out the fosdem.org mail servers seem broken for accepting mail over ipv6. Only one server has a v6 address and is not listening on port 25 (the v4 address is), happened to notice looking at my mail server logs :) 2014-02-03 11:02:13 1WAHHx-00074w-9K episteme.fosdem.org [2a01:4f8:191:4332::28] Connection refused damian@Capricorn:~$ dig +short fosdem.org mx 20 episteme.fosdem.org. 10 apeiron.fosdem.org. damian@Capricorn:~$ dig +short episteme.fosdem.org ANY 85.10.228.28 2a01:4f8:191:4332::28 damian@Capricorn:~$ dig +short apeiron.fosdem.org ANY 82.146.116.115 IPv4 ok: damian@Capricorn:~$ telnet apeiron.fosdem.org 25 Trying 82.146.116.115... Connected to apeiron.fosdem.org. Escape character is '^]'. 220 apeiron.fosdem.org ESMTP Postfix ^]quit telnet> quit Connection closed. damian@Capricorn:~$ telnet episteme.fosdem.org 25 Trying 85.10.228.28... Connected to episteme.fosdem.org. Escape character is '^]'. 220 episteme.fosdem.org ESMTP Postfix ^]quit telnet> quit Connection closed. IPv6 not: web1-man:~# telnet episteme.fosdem.org 25 Trying 2a01:4f8:191:4332::28... Trying 85.10.228.28... Connected to episteme.fosdem.org. Escape character is '^]'. 220 episteme.fosdem.org ESMTP Postfix ^]quit telnet> quit Connection closed. (Fails over to v4) web1-man:~# telnet 2a01:4f8:191:4332::28 25 Trying 2a01:4f8:191:4332::28... telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused :( Would be good to get this resolved so mail can be received over V6! Cheers - Damian
On 03/02/14 12:03, Henning Sprang wrote:
Am 03.02.2014 12:55 schrieb "Damian Zaremba" <damian@damianzaremba.co.uk <mailto:damian@damianzaremba.co.uk>>:
... damian@Capricorn:~$ telnet ...
;)
There go the 126 telnet connections we had such a big laugh about at the closing talk when net traffic stats where presented...
I'm guessing the stats on the closing talk where based on traffic destined to port 23, rather than the command line tool... *uses nc quietly from the corner*.
Am 03.02.2014 13:05 schrieb "Damian Zaremba" <damian@damianzaremba.co.uk>:
... I'm guessing the stats on the closing talk where based on traffic destined to port 23, rather than the command line tool... *uses nc quietly from the corner*.
Argh. I was so happy to have found such a good explanation of a valid usecase for the phenomenon that I stopped thinkin there...
On Mon, 3 Feb 2014 13:49:44 +0100 Henning Sprang <henning.sprang@gmail.com> wrote: Hi,
I'm guessing the stats on the closing talk where based on traffic destined to port 23, rather than the command line tool... *uses nc quietly from the corner*.
Argh.
I was so happy to have found such a good explanation of a valid usecase for the phenomenon that I stopped thinkin there...
my guess would be portscans. Andreas aka ScottyTM --
Maybe the bridge of the Enterprise is *also* a holodeck, and the crew just *thinks* they're in charge. That's the first plausible explanation for "ST:Voyager" that i've ever seen. -- Jonathan W. Hendry and Lee DeRaud in rec.arts.sf.written
On 2014-02-03 11:27:10 (+0000), Damian Zaremba <damian@damianzaremba.co.uk> wrote:
Since we had a totally IPv6 network, I'd just like to point out the fosdem.org mail servers seem broken for accepting mail over ipv6.
Only this weekend. The machine is on the wrong (physical) side of a building to have native IPv6 connectivity and precisely this weekend, the other end of the tunnel that has worked for years decided to break. We kicked the AAAA records out of the DNS at the 11th hour and provided a socat proxy for www.fosdem.org and fosdem.org through another machine literally at the 11th hour. Will be fixed. Very high priority. Philip -- Philip Paeps Senior Reality Engineer Ministry of Information
On 03/02/14 13:37, Philip Paeps wrote:
On 2014-02-03 11:27:10 (+0000), Damian Zaremba <damian@damianzaremba.co.uk> wrote:
2014-02-03 11:02:13 1WAHHx-00074w-9K episteme.fosdem.org [2a01:4f8:191:4332::28] Connection refused I fixed that.
Philip
Thanks Philip! Much better :) - Damian
participants (4)
-
Andreas Kupfer -
Damian Zaremba -
Henning Sprang -
Philip Paeps