Hello Stefan, with respect to your other email reminding us of the CFP deadline, there are still some talk proposals in the cooking from the HelenOS team. I hope we will post them in a few days.
I have to admit, to me this appears to be a bit contradictory to the idea of FOSDEM. I would like to focus on finding common problems, discussing different approaches to target them, learning from the experiences of other projects, identifying synergies.
I am sorry that I haven't set up the wiki for the taxonomy yet. The reason is that I really spent some time thinking about the intention and goal of the taxonomy. I still like the general idea of the taxonomy, but it is probably also necessary to suppress any promotional and competitive aspect of the comparison. FOSDEM should be really about cooperation and finding commonalities than competition and finding differences. I don't want to offend Joanna, but I believe that one of her reasons for proposing such a comparison is to promote Qubes OS as a mature and ready-to-use operating system -- in comparison to the other "toy and research microkernel projects" it sometimes gets confused with :-) The sarcasm is obviously mine, but I cannot help myself seeing this subtext in Joanna's original proposal. Please give me a few more days to think about the criteria again and set up the wiki. Thanks, Stefan, for sharing Genode's data, I'll put it in there as well.
My personal proposal is: having a "demo" slot, where all projects can have a laptop demonstration, or poster. We ourselves, or guests of the devroom can travel from table to table discussing key aspects of the projects. In my perception, it is a lot easier for most people to have a conversation, or ask their questions this way than having a podium, which always has a more formal atmosphere, whether it is intended or not.
The panel discussion has the advantage that you can compare the answers to the same questions from all the participating teams. But again, if you really try to avoid any hidden competitive messages, the demo slot is a viable alternative. Anyway, I hereby officially submit a proposal for a panel discussion slot. But feel free to eliminate it in favour of other proposals in the final decision. * title of your talk (will be printed in the FOSDEM booklet) Panel discussion * your full name (will be printed in the FOSDEM booklet) [The moderator of the panel discussion should be established yet.] * a short abstract A panel discussion with representatives of all the OS projects participating in the devroom. The general rule is that the moderator or someone from the audience asks a relevant question and each representative answers it. Discussing the taxonomy of the participating projects (as proposed by Joanna Rutkowska) might be also a part of the time slot. * duration of your talk (please, no longer than 45 minutes) 45 minutes M.D.