On 10/30/12 11:16, Martin Decky wrote:
Hi Joanna, hi folks,
So, perhaps during this meeting there could be a session which would aim to create such a big picture diagram or something.
That's a good idea. Last year there was a closing panel discussion on the microkernel devroom which might be a suitable place to organize such a "big diagram drawing" this time. Or would you prefer a separate session for it?
Anyway, we should perhaps brainstorm the interesting criteria according to we would like to classify the various systems on this mailing list first, so that the "big diagram drawing" is somehow structured when it happens live. Alternatively, I can host a wiki page for it (on the HelenOS wiki).
Therefore, in relation to Joanna's suggestion, I suggest to have a closing panel discussion again on the devroom. I also suggest to allocate a longer time slot for the panel discussion this time (at least twice as long as last time).
I like the idea with a wiki. In the first iteration people from different projects that we consider here could first create some short stubs describing key aspects of their projects (features, assumptions, requirements, dependencies, etc). Then, in the following iterations we could try to come up with some readable structure for this. E.g. I think I could write something like this about Qubes OS to start with: * Category: Desktop OS (available as installable ISO) * Goal: reasonably secure multi-domain desktop environment with lots of mechanisms to make this as seamless experience to the user as possible. * Main focus on: 1) secure GUI, 2) secure inter-domain interaction mechanisms, 3) reasonable TCB decomposition (netvm, usbvm, etc) 4) domain management * Depends on: Xen, Fedora/Linux (VMs), Xorg * App compatibility: Most Linux Apps except for such that require accelerated graphics * Drivers compatibility: Essentially all supported by Linux kernel unless they break when run under Xen (some GPU drivers do :/) * Status: Qubes 1 released, Qubes 2 Beta 1 ISO in the work (with HVM and specifically Windows VM support, most code in the Git already). * Non-goals: creating a new microkernel (rather how to best use existing ones), creating drivers, creating new user apps. joanna.