[Microkernel-devroom] Accepted talks and schedule of our devroom at FOSDEM 2012
Hi, here is a schedule for the Multiserver, microkernel-based operating systems devroom @ FOSDEM 2012: 9:00am – 9:25am Welcome! or Why do we meet here today (Jakub Jermář) 9:30am – 10:00am Introduction to the NOVA kernel API (Julian Stecklina) 10:10am – 10:55am Introduction of the Genode OS Framework (Norman Feske) 11:10am – 11:55am Introduction to HelenOS (Jakub Jermář) 11:55am – 12:55pm Lunch break 1:00pm – 2:00pm The microkernel overhead (Martin Děcký) 2:10pm – 2:55pm Reserve slot: First come, first assigned 3:05pm – 3:50pm Dive into HelenOS Device Drivers (Jiří Svoboda) 4:00pm – 5:00pm Panel discussion Finally, the schedule filled surprisingly quickly. For the sake of ballanced content, I decided to withdraw my own proposal, which would otherwise be a third talk dedicated to HelenOS. The reserve slot is basically meant for GNU Hurd or MINIX 3, whichever claims it first, or any other, not yet represented project. If the slot is not claimed, we can donate it to other types of content for which there is no time now. Note that the last item on the agenda is a panel discussion where we can discuss various topics among the projects. Note that the schedule may change to accommodate the current devroom needs. Any changes will be announced on this mailing list and on the FOSDEM web site, after the schedule is moved there. Jakub
Hi,
here is a schedule for the Multiserver, microkernel-based operating systems devroom @ FOSDEM 2012
Thanks for the schedule, Jakub. I really hope that the guys from the other projects are going to take the reserve slot and make the line-up just a little bit more diverse than it is now. I would also not completely rule out Norman's idea of the demo corner, although I completely acknowledge Jakub's objections that a devroom should not be an exhibition with stands. But if the configuration of the room permits that, setting up a table with some machines running our OSes for the public to freely play with (silently) and perhaps stickers/CDs/leaflets to take away might not hurt. We will see in Brussels.
Note that the last item on the agenda is a panel discussion where we can discuss various topics among the projects.
As we probably won't have any impartial moderator for the panel (someone not affiliated with any of our projects), I suggest to make the panel discussion as a round table of answering initial questions we agree upon and then taking questions either from the audience or from ourselves (as the discussion progresses). I suggest the following initial questions to be answered by each project: * Intro: What is your project about and what are your goals? * What approaches and tools do you use in your project? (Note that FOSDEM is an open-source conference.) * How do you cooperate with the "mainstream"? (Standards, compatibility, etc.) * Evergreen: How do you tackle the problem of device drivers? * What interesting topics/projects/challenges can you offer to potential contributors? M.D.
Hi Martin, On 9.1.2012 15:22, Martin Decky wrote:
I would also not completely rule out Norman's idea of the demo corner, although I completely acknowledge Jakub's objections that a devroom should not be an exhibition with stands. But if the configuration of the room permits that, setting up a table with some machines running our OSes for the public to freely play with (silently) and perhaps stickers/CDs/leaflets to take away might not hurt. We will see in Brussels.
Hopefully no-one will walk away with the demo equipment :-)
Note that the last item on the agenda is a panel discussion where we can discuss various topics among the projects.
As we probably won't have any impartial moderator for the panel (someone not affiliated with any of our projects), I suggest to make the panel
The moderator need not be impartial per se, he/she only needs to know the difference between a moderator and a panelist.
I suggest the following initial questions to be answered by each project:
Whether a panel discussion or a more free-style discussion without a moderator, I also thought of some initial set of questions/topics. More questions/topics could be added by participants and also the general public during the day to some box which will then be opened during the discussion session. Lastly, the public should be allowed to have live questions from time to time during the debate.
* Intro: What is your project about and what are your goals?
At the end of the schedule, this will be rather restating what was already told during the introductory talks at the beginning of the schedule. Of course, if some projects don't have an introductory talk, this may be their chance.
* What approaches and tools do you use in your project? (Note that FOSDEM is an open-source conference.) * How do you cooperate with the "mainstream"? (Standards, compatibility, etc.) * Evergreen: How do you tackle the problem of device drivers? * What interesting topics/projects/challenges can you offer to potential contributors?
Pretty good topics, I believe. Jakub
Hi Martin and Jakub,
Whether a panel discussion or a more free-style discussion without a moderator, I also thought of some initial set of questions/topics. More questions/topics could be added by participants and also the general public during the day to some box which will then be opened during the discussion session. Lastly, the public should be allowed to have live questions from time to time during the debate.
excellent idea! I also like Martin's list.
At the end of the schedule, this will be rather restating what was already told during the introductory talks at the beginning of the schedule. Of course, if some projects don't have an introductory talk, this may be their chance.
I agree. A few introductory words about each person should be enough I think - just for enabling the audience to associate the faces with the different projects. Cheers Norman
participants (3)
-
Jakub Jermar -
Martin Decky -
Norman Feske