[FOSDEM] FOSDEM needs better netadmins

Jan Claeys lists at janc.be
Wed Feb 28 16:34:28 CET 2007

On wo, 2007-02-28 at 12:39 +0100, Edwin Mons wrote:
> Johan van Selst wrote:
> > Jan Claeys wrote:

> >> What Edwin means is described in RFC-2476 "Message Submission", which
> >> uses port 587.
> >> Unfortunately most internet providers don't support this...  :-(
> >>

> > No, what Edwin refers to is described in RFC-4422, "Simple
> > Authentication and Security Layer" and uses the standard smtp (25) or
> > secure smtp (465) port and is supported by serveral ISPs I know of.

> Thanks, Johan.  This is indeed what I referred to.  A lot of providers
> have this mechanism open nowadays to facilitate for laptop-users who
> cannot be expected to be on their home-network all the time.

That's exactly the purpose of the RFC-2476 message submission service at
port 587 (which may have RFC-4422 style SASL-support), while port 25 &
465 are intended for connections between "real" mailservers...

>From "1.  Abstract" in RFC-2476:

   [...]
   Separating messages into submissions and transfers allows developers
   and network administrators to more easily:
   [...]
   *   Implement authenticated submission, including off-site submission
       by authorized users such as travelers
   [...]

--
Jan Claeys