[FOSDEM] News : Call For Participation

info at fosdem.org info at fosdem.org
Mon Oct 12 18:56:34 CEST 2009

FOSDEM [1], the most developer-oriented Free and Opensource conference in
Europe, is taking place in Brussels, Belgium [2] on *Saturday 6 and Sunday 7
February 2010*. Apart from having many invited speakers, the conference
offers developer rooms, stands and lightning talks to projects from the Free
and Opensource community. This results in a staggering number of 250+
lectures!

We hereby welcome proposals from speakers and projects to talk in a main
track, man a stand, or hold a lightning talk. /Information on developer rooms
will become available later, as we are slightly reworking the concept/.

As every year, we have only a limited number of rooms, space for stands and
lightning talk slots. Since we always receive more requests than we can host,
a committee within the FOSDEM organizing team will review all proposals.
Selection will be based on possible impact, our experience of previous
editions and diversity in the offerings.

.... Main Tracks

During the two days of the conference the biggest rooms are reserved for the
three keynotes and the eighteen technical lectures giving a seat for no less
than 2000 visitors. The main tracks are categorized in six general topics
going from development languages, security, kernel, collaboration,... When
holding a main track talk, you have the privilege to have your travel costs
refunded and a hotel room booked by the organization.

See http://fosdem.org/2010/call_for_main_tracks [3]

.... Devrooms

Our goal for the developer rooms is to stimulate developer collaboration and
cross-pollination between projects. /We are reworking the concept of devrooms
a bit, to better achieve those goals using the room capacity we have/.

.... Stands

We offer stands in the hallways to projects that want to present themselves
to the visitors in a more personal fashion. Stands can be used to share
information, demo software, sell merchandising or give away goodies.

See http://fosdem.org/2010/call_for_stands [4]

.... Lightning talks

Lightning talks are for all other projects that want to present something. A
lightning talk is a short talk in which a project can introduce itself, talk
about recent developments, or share exciting new directions.

See http://fosdem.org/2010/call_for_lightningtalks [5]

FOSDEM 2010 will be the 10th edition of the event, which has been steadily
growing every year in importance and in the number of visitors. Our goal is
to provide a platform to Free and Opensource projects to meet, discuss,
present their current and future developments, both to their own developer
and user community as to other projects that are present. Given the large
amount of active contributors from many different projects present during the
conference, it is an exceptionally well suited occasion to share goals and
ideas with people from other communities, which is something we strongly
encourage and do our best to support. Of course, the event only lives through
the projects that take part in it, and through the many FOSS contributors who
attend. We merely do our best to provide the best possible service to the
FOSS community at large.

.... Key dates:

  * 2009-11-22: Deadline for *main track talk* requests
  * 2009-11-22: Deadline for *stand* requests
  * 2009-11-29: Acceptance notification of stands and main tracks
  * 2009-12-20: Deadline for *lightning talk* requests
  * 2009-12-28: Acceptance notification of lightning talks
  * 2010-02-06 to 2009-02-07: FOSDEM 2010

For more information, or to fill in the form check out:
http://fosdem.org/2010/call_for_participation

[1] http://fosdem.org
[2] http://fosdem.org/practical/transportation
[3] http://fosdem.org/2010/call_for_main_tracks