[FOSDEM] Beer event

Wouter Verhelst wouter at debian.org
Tue Feb 2 00:05:36 CET 2010

On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 02:08:17PM +0100, Gabor Kuti wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I should now be buying my tickets to the event but I can't decide if I
> will participate on the beer event or not.. therefore what dates I
> should choose.
>
> How many people are usually showing up? From the descriptions I've
> read so far it seems that there are quite a few..

That's an understatement.

The main bar itself is rather large. Across the street, there's a second
building (smaller, but still considerably large) which belongs to the
same business.

Last year and the year before, we managed to fill not only both places,
but also the alley in between. To such an extent that they employed
security last year (who were standing near the entrance of the alley),
who would regularly ask people to wait a while before entering the area,
because it was too crowded otherwise.

> But the more important question is whether smoking is allowed in pubs
> in Belgium? I am personally a non-smoker and cannot really tolerate
> smoke, so if it is allowed then I am afraid I have a definitive
> choice..

It is allowed, but only if no food is served in the bar and, of course,
the bar owner does not forbid it otherwise. The Delirium Café does not
serve food (other than things like nuts etc, which the law does not
apply to), so the law does not forbid it.

trying to fool the system.