[FOSDEM] Running a GSM BTS at fosdem ?

246tnt at gmail.com 246tnt at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 12:30:29 CET 2010

Hi,

> > I'm sorry, but in my opinion this is too last minute. There are
> logistical
> > (where to put this set-up, provide power), technical (how can we be
> > absolutely sure it won't interfere?) and administrative (request
> permission
> > from ULB) issues that cannot be dealt with this late in the game.

I actually talked with some people off the list and this year there will be
only limited closed testing to make the network planning for next year.

> Actually - if there is BIPT approval for a transmitter in the GSM
> spectrum on
> the ULB campus, we don't really need further permission from ULB (while
> they
> control the builds, they don't control the radio spectrum).

I do have proper IBPT licence for 3 BTS for the DCS1800 spectrum around
1748 MHz for demonstration purposes, valid only this week end and limited
to the ULB site.

> My main concern is logistics. I doubt you have BIPT approval to accept
> IMSIs
> not registered with you. How will you get people to register? Secondly, I
> have doubts about the utility.

> As JF mentioned, it's way too late to set up
> anything meaningful in the way of SIP to connect the GSM network to the
> rest
> of the world.

Yes, this is why there will be only range testing not open to the public
this year. No time to setup anything useful in the remaining timeframe.
I wasn't too sure the licence would be granted since GSM is usually tightly
controlled. I requested the licence end november and they only answered
yesterday, so I thought it would not go trough and I didn't really prepare
anything ...

> I suggest we keep this idea in mind for next year. Having our own GSM
> network
> at the conference certainly has some benefits, but it needs to be set up
> with
> a bit of forethought if it's going to be successful.

Indeed.

> Could you please coordinate with network@ next year?

Yup, already doing that now.

Cheers,