[FOSDEM] accepted devrooms

Mattias 'Tias' Guns mguns at fosdem.org
Wed Nov 3 17:25:09 CET 2010

Below you can find the list of accepted devrooms, also on
http://fosdem.org/2011/news/accepted-devrooms

We were very pleased with the devroom proposals we received, as many
were collaborative proposals with ample opportunity for
cross-pollination between projects. As a side effect, this did make the
decision process even harder.

We asked the devroom organizers to send a copy of their call for
papers to this mailinglist, and in the near future we will collect the
different calls on our website.

Following devroom requests were accepted, and will have a room of
varying size on Saturday or Sunday:
* Accessibility
The goal is to talk about and focus on accessibility across multiple
distinct technologies and open source projects.
* BSD
The most notable Berkeley Software Distributions are perhaps the major
open source BSDs (FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, DragonFly BSD) which have
themselves spawned a number of children. FreeBSD-kernel is also used in
Linux projects like Debian GNU/kFreeBSD.
* Configuration/Systems Management
Mini-talks from real world case studies, brainstorming and hacking
around configuration and systems management from complex virtual
environments and cloud computing to desktops and laptops.
* Crossdesktop
The "CrossDesktop" developer room is a collaboration across KDE, GNOME
and XFCE to host talks about common topics, freedesktop.org as well as
interoperability.
* Data Analytics
Open Source tools for Data Analytics. This includes Machine Learning,
Text Mining and Natural Language Processing, Computer Vision,
Recommender Engines, Visualisation, Data Mining, Large Scale and
distributed data processing, etc.
* Distribution Miniconf
As last year, the idea is that rather than having several
distributions with their own respective and individual Developer Room,
we will host mixed conference rooms where talks and sessions will be
organized by topic, with contributors from all distributions attending
and participating.
* Embedded
Focus on working with embedded systems, cross-compiling, low memory
footprints and all that is related to running open-source software on
low power or mobile devices.
* Free Java
With JDK 7 due to make an appearance, our goal is to provide a venue
for the developers and users of the Free Java projects to collaborate
and discuss on a range of topics from virtual machines through to
deployment on FOSS operating systems.
* GNU
The goal is to promote discussion on the advancement of the GNU coding
standards and maintainers guidelines as well as the packages
implementing them, and strengthen the community of maintainers and
developers.
* Jabber/XMPP
The Jabber/XMPP devroom brings together developers of XMPP-using
applications. The room will be used for presentations and tutorials on
the protocol itself as well as specific projects, hacking on XMPP
projects and protocol development discussions.
* LibreOffice
Our goals is to present ourselves and collaborate on development
topics, introduce the idea of the Foundation and make one more
important step towards open and transparent processes.
* Mono
Mono is a software platform designed to allow developers to easily
create cross platform applications. We feel that by embracing the
successful, standardized .NET software platform, we can lower the
barriers to producing great applications for Linux.
* Mozilla
Contributors and staff of the Mozilla Project will give presentations
and lead discussions on different areas of the project, notably, the
latest version of Firefox, hacks.mozilla.org, HTML5 demos, Jetpack
Development, SeaMonkey etc...
* MySQL & friends
Talks and discussions related to the MySQL Server Ecosystem. We'd like
to cover sessions about best practices (e.g. performance tuning,
scaling, high availability) as well as introductions into related
technologies and projects.
* New challenges in Virtualization
There are several projects related to virtualization and the many open
problems it poses. This devroom aims to be a meeting point where
developers of these projects can meet to reinforce their cooperation.
* Open Source Telephony
The purpose of this devroom is promote cross pollination between
projects in the telephony space. There are a good number of open source
telephony projects out there and their goals may differ, but they all
have certain values in mind, such as standards and interoperability.
* Perl
We are going to organize presentations and hacking sessions on a
number of Perl related open source projects such as Dancer,
Mojolicious, Rakudo and Padre, as well as other Perl related projects
such as Perl DBI and MongoDB.
* PostgreSQL
FOSDEM is the second most important conference for the European
PostgreSQL community (after our own PGDay). The majority of talks will
be developer talks, use cases, and PostgreSQL related applications are
also welcomed.
* Security / hardware crypto
The goal is to to raise the awareness of OpenSC and smart cards in
general. The room targets both "core" PKI related software people, who
work on libraries other developers use, and developers of any software
supporting private keys.
* World of GNUstep
The goal is to teach interested developers how to write cross platform
applications or port Cocoa applications to Linux, BSD and Windows using
GNUstep; share news about the latest development and plans on GNUstep;
code sprints, hacking, discussing...

The FOSDEM staff.