[freejava] Re: [FOSDEM] Podcast coverage of FOSDEM (need a bigger venue?)

Mark Wielaard mark at klomp.org
Sun Feb 20 12:43:16 CET 2011

On Thu, 2011-02-17 at 16:47 +0100, Christophe Vandeplas wrote:
> Just to make it clear: There are no plans to change the FOSDEM concept.
> It is and will stay a conference for technical people organized by and
> for the community.

And again it has been great, thanks! Don't change a thing!

Just saw another news article about the free java devjam at Fosdem:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/02/20/oracle_says_java_is_still_top_priority/

I am glad the author seems to have understood the fact that the event
was about more than just technical cooperation, but also about creating
some social cohesion in the community.

On the other hand, I am actually hoping there will be less media
coverage. One of the important things was that people, independent of
community or corporate background, could speak freely. It was very
important to also have some Oracle engineers there. And it would be a
shame if too much publicity would make them shy to attend and/or speak
less openly. Also it gives the impression it was all "politics", while
most talks were actually about crazy technical stuff and showing off to
your peers what cool hacks made them possible :)

Cheers,

Mark