[FOSDEM] Conflict with LCA [was Re: Dates for FOSDEM 2013: 2 & 3 February]

Larry Cafiero larry.cafiero at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 18:38:18 CEST 2012

If it's of any help to the discussion, the Southern California Linux
Expo (SCALE 10X) was held the weekend after LCA this year (LCA, it
should be noted, is a weeklong event, and SCALE started on the Friday
when LCA was wrapping up).

Many -- me included -- were concerned that having more than one Linux
event in the world at one time might dilute attendance and
participation for both events. I can't speak for  LCA, but SCALE set
an attendance record in 2012 despite its being scheduled so close to
LCA.

What we found is this: Linux and FOSS are big enough to have more than
one event on one continent at one time. SCALE did not suffer from a
lack of exhibitors, speakers or presentations because of LCA, and the
only ones seemingly annoyed by the schedule change were those in the
tech press who had to choose to go to one or the other event :-)

Incidentally, we are back to our old schedule -- SCALE will be on the
third weekend of February in 2013, to coincide with a US holiday on
Monday after the weekend.

I hope this helps.

Larry Cafiero / Publicity chairperson / Southern California Linux Expo