[FOSDEM] Keysigning: venue

Philip Paeps philip at fosdem.org
Wed Feb 1 19:06:09 CET 2012

On 2012-02-01 19:01:19 (+0100), markus reichelt <ml at mareichelt.com> wrote:
> * Philip Paeps <philip at paeps.cx> wrote:
> > >
> > > What is the Plan B for the keysigning party in case of rainy
> > > weather?  There's got to be Plan B.  And because of the nice
> > > weather I'd very much like to see Plan B to put into action.
> >
> > People bring umbrellas and raincoats.  That's what "dress
> > appropriately" means.
>
> ... there's limits.

Indeed.  They are there to be explored and broken.  Mount Everest because it's
there.  Where is your sense of adventure?  Real Hackers[tm] would underwater
keysigning or keysigning on the South Pole!

> > > A keysigning party in this kind of weather is just not feasible.
> >
> > History proves you wrong.
>
> Well of course it does...
>
> I attended just for the keysigning party in 2009, 2010, and 2011. You cannot
> compare this year's weather to just "cold & windy" as the years before.  I
> also remember who chickened out and didn't attend because of the 'cold'
> weather - dressed in a tshirt - being listed as organizer of the event :-)

I should point out that I have attended personally every single keysigning
event, regardless of weather, except for last year's.  Not because I was cold
being dressed in a t-shirt (I do bring a coat to FOSDEM) but because I was
starving from running around like a headless chicken for the whole weekend.
While you were all out signing keys, I was queueing for food.  In a t-shirt.

 - Philip

--
Philip Paeps
Senior Reality Engineer