[FOSDEM] First time attendee

Pascal Bleser loki at fosdem.org
Fri Jan 13 22:40:48 CET 2012

On 2012-01-13 21:34:27 (+0000), Samantha Kosko <samantha at 10gen.com> wrote:
> Hi... my name is Samantha and I am trying to finalize all of my companies
> plans for FOSDEM and we are all first time attendees.  We have been
> selected to have a stand and the event and wanted to get some feedback on
> what we should do with giveaways and staff for the stand.

> We have a limited number of people in EMEA that can attend and I want to
> make sure that i am using my resources as best as I can.  If anyone has any
> information they can help me with on this ... i would be forever thankful!

Hi Samantha!

Hm, well:
- expected a *LOT* of people showing up at your stand

- if you plan to bring along swag, in order to give you an order
  of magnitude:
  * most stands bring along stuff in quantities of 1000 items or
    more
  * we give out over 1500 booklets to visitors
  * our estimation on the total amount of visitors is around
    5000 (and that's a minimum)

- a very large proportion of the visitors at FOSDEM are people
  who are already contributing to open source projects in one
  way or another (most of them hackers, I'd say) so rather
  expect pretty technical or at least deeper questions and
  discussions, certainly much more than "oh, what's MongoDB?" ;)

- the atmosphere is very relaxed, you're amongst friends :)

- in general, we recommand to have at least two people at a
  stand at all times, if feasible; I'd recommend to plan some
  rotation amongst your people, as everyone will have quite a
  long list of sessions they would like to attend (we will have
  between 300 and 400 sessions during the weekend)

If you have any questions, feel free to ask, either here or on
stands at fosdem.org

cheers
--
Pascal Bleser <loki at fosdem.org>       http://fosdem.org/
FOSDEM 2012 ::: 4 + 5 February 2012 in Brussels, Belgium