[FOSDEM] General strike likely to impact FOSDEM?

Ludovic Brenta ludovic at ludovic-brenta.org
Mon Jan 30 11:53:03 CET 2012

Wouter Verhelst:
> On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 10:30:26AM +0100, Richard Hartmann wrote:
>> is it likely that the general, or some other, strike will be
>> extended
>> or repeated in a way which will affect FOSDEM? Local news tells me
>> Bruessels is in a total deadlock and I would like to prepare if
>> necessary.
>
> Well, I didn't go through Brussels today (yet), but from what I saw
> during my morning commute the "general" strike is fairly "generally"
> ignored. Then again, that was just a 30-minute car trip over the N26,
> so
> not a highway.

The biggest problem is the lack of public transport (metro, tram, bus)
in
and around Brussels and the lack of trains country-wide as even Thalys
and
Eurostar trains are on strike.  Many motorists decided to stay at home,
so traffic is light. People who ride bicycles simply don't care (note:
the public bicycle service, http://www.villo.be, is probably overloaded
today but still usable).  The most affected are people who depend on
public transport (can't drive, can't ride) and cannot afford a taxi.

> Also, as others have said, the likeliness of this strike being
> extended
> for more than one day, let alone a week, is very low.

Seconded.  I'll report back tomorrow and say whether the strike is
extended (unlikely) or everything is back to normal. (PS. I live and
work
in Brussels).

--
Ludovic Brenta.