[FOSDEM] Call for Participation for Graph Processing Devroom 2014

Achim Friedland achim.friedland at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 23:16:13 CEST 2013

FOSDEM Graph Processing Devroom 2014

Call for Participation

We are happy to announce the 3rd edition of the Graph Processing Devroom
co-located with FOSDEM 2014 at the ULB Campus Solbosch in Brussels,
Belgium. FOSDEM is an annually software developers meeting attended by
over 5000 free and open source enthusiasts from all over the world. The
devroom will take place on Sunday, 2. February 2014 with a welcome at
9:45, and talks from 10AM till 18PM.

For the last 5 years graph processing systems are gaining an emerging
impact for processing complex semi-structured interrelated and
distributed data sets. Thanks to many high quality open source
implementations and outstanding community support, this movement is
still winning a lot of momentum. The past year had again been full of
impressive developments: e.g. Neo4j 2.0 with improved property graphs,
OrientDB 1.5, the Neo4j-centric GraphDatabases book, GraphHopper for OSM
routing, a new graph traversal framework called Steffi.io (imGraph), the
Bitsy database and  Pixy query language, Structr a CMS ontop of graphs
and even the SAP Hana in-memory database solution joined the movement.

In previous devrooms a lot of great presentations and demos had been
given and substantiated discussions took place. Therefore, also in 2014
we will again give researchers, geeks and open source hackers the
possibility of an awesome meetup for showing each other their recent
work and improvements. This includes:

  - Graph Query Languages and user-friendly APIs
  - (Distributed) Graph Processing Frameworks
  - Geographic Information Systems and Graphs (Routing et al.)
  - Semantic Graphs (RDF)
  - (Large-Scale) Graph Visualization
  - Graphs and the Internet-of-Things
  - Real-life application of graph processing including industry
    experience
  - Graph Benchmarks

This list is not closed, other related topics are always welcome.

-= Participate =-

Convinced? Interested in giving a talk or presenting a demo? We are
looking for high quality technical (non-marketing) submissions, ranging
from principles to practice and interesting to attendees with widely
different backgrounds. Talks should be 20 to 30 minutes, lightning talks
10 to 15 minutes and consist of a presentation supported by slides
and/or demos. Any degree of interactivity is highly welcome. We also
welcome other activity proposals different from “traditional” project
presentations and talks. All submissions should be based on free and
open software solutions or free and open APIs.

This year we want to try something new and put a specific emphasis on
two selected areas. Nevertheless other topics are still open for any of
your proposals.

  - *Geo Information Systems using Graphs*, ranging from OpenStreetMap to
    E-Mobility routing solutions, as we think that mobile mapping
    libraries and applications are becoming more and more important in
    our daily life.

  - *Natural Language Processing via Graphs*, as we think the best way to
    make the people aware of the dangers of an omnipresent Big Brother
    is to teach them the algorithms via running code.

To suggest a talk, go to the FOSDEM submission system[8] and follow the
instructions ("Create Account” / “Create Event"). Please make sure to
select the "GraphDevroom" track and include at least the following
information:

  - Your name, nick, contact information (public/only for orga) and a
    short biography
  - The title and a short abstract describing your
    presentation/demo/talk (max. 500 words)
  - Intended audience and goal of the talk (e.g., “Beginner”,
    “Advanced”, "Analysts, helping them to discover and visualize
    patterns" or "Developers, trying to optimize processing of highly
    connected data sets")
  - The desired length of your time slot (typical 30 min. incl. 5
    minutes for Q/A)
  - Links to background information on the given talk for the hungry
    and impatient
  - Links to your previous talks, code snippets or repositories

  -= Important dates =-

Submission deadline:			10. Dec 2013
Notification of accepted speakers:	13. Dec 2013
Preliminary Schedule:			15. Dec 2013
Publication of the final schedule:	10. Jan 2014
Devroom day: 			  	 2. Feb 2014

  -= The Orgteam =-

  - Achim Friedland, Software Architect at Belectric ITS GmbH.
  - Lutz Lukas, symanto research GmbH & Co KG.
  - Martin Junghanns, University of Leipzig
  - Pere Urbon-Bayes, Software Architect at Belectric ITS GmbH.
  - Peter Karich, GraphHopper

The crew can be reached via: fosdem2014 at graphdevroom.org

  -= Stay in Contact =-

In order to stay in contact and be updated with the latest news of the
event, you can either go to Twitter and follow @GraphDevroom[3] or
search for #graphdevroom, or goto Google and subscribe to our Google
Group[4] or become a member of our Google+ community[5].

Impressions, recorded talks and slides from the last years are available
at our website[2], at YouTube[6] within our Google+ community or at
SlideShare[7].

[1] https://fosdem.org/2014/
[2] http://graphdevroom.org
[3] https://twitter.com/graphdevroom