[FOSDEM] visas and invitation letters

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.pro
Mon Dec 21 18:13:30 CET 2015

On 21/12/15 18:08, Jo wrote:
> Even though the term invitation letter sounds simple enough, it's a bit
> more complicated than that.
>
> What your doing is getting into a legal contract between
> yourself/company and the Belgian ministry of the interior. You agree to
> be liable for all expenses in case this person doesn't leave
> Belgium/Schengen zone as foreseen. In case of a forced expulsion this is
> thousands of euros.

That is a letter of guarantee.  It is not the same as a letter of
invitation.  One letter can combine both concepts, but I've also seen
invitation letters that don't include a guarantee.

> I would also be very surprised if it's still possible to accomplish all
> the needed paperwork in one month. It involves going to the
> municipality, they need to contact the ministry of the interior and they
> in turn need to contact the embassy of the country, back and forth. The
> person also needs to present themselves at this embassy, at least twice.
> The process usually takes 3 - 8 months.
>
> Anyway it's not something you'd do for any random person either. A lot
> of trust is involved.

It is for some former GSoC students.

I think that the whole guarantee thing tends to be necessary for longer
visas, e.g. exchange programs, or wife has a baby and her mother wants
to come and stay 6 months.

Regards,

Daniel