[FOSDEM] visas and invitation letters

Emanuil Tolev emanuil.tolev at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 18:24:27 CET 2015

Gah, what a headache. Is there some kind of tourist visa that Schengen
allows? I can't believe we allow nobody to enter the Schengen area without
an invite by a citizen, that just seems ridiculous. What if they just want
to see the Grand Place or something? I'd say visiting FOSDEM is an even
better reason for somebody who would otherwise be approved for a tourist
visa anyway.

http://www.schengenvisainfo.com/tourist-schengen-visa/ indicates a letter
*is* required when visiting friends and relatives but no letter is needed
when no such visit is taking place (I suppose then you can't say "I'm
visiting a friend" without any proof by said friend). Maybe there's a
higher chance of the application being approved if you really are visiting
friends/relatives, but hey, if it's possible to apply without a letter then
that'll cover most people and they won't have to seek help.