[FOSDEM] It's time for a Code of Conduct

John Sullivan johns at fsf.org
Fri Oct 30 01:54:58 CET 2015

Dave Neary <dneary at redhat.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On 10/29/2015 06:03 PM, Tom Marble wrote:
>> FOSDEM Organizers:
>>
>> FOSDEM is a fantastic conference and the only thing I can
>> think of that would make it better is publishing a Code of Conduct:
>>
>> http://www.sarahmei.com/blog/2015/02/01/the-fosdem-conundrum/
>>
>> https://twitter.com/fosdem/status/561885201383821312
>>
>> Will the FOSDEM 2016 edition have a CoC?
>
> I support the adoption of a code of conduct for FOSDEM.

I do too. FWIW, the one we've been using at LibrePlanet for the last few
years, modeled on policies used at several other conferences, has worked
well for us: <https://www.libreplanet.org/2016/safe-space-policy/>. It's
been well-received by attendees and has given us a clear, consistent way
to address some real issues. We haven't seen any of the fears that
people sometimes express about such policies materialize.

Just my two cents and a data point. :)

-john

GPG Key: 61A0963B | http://status.fsf.org/johns | http://fsf.org/blogs/RSS

<http://my.fsf.org/join>.