[FOSDEM] It's time for a Code of Conduct

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Fri Oct 30 10:43:09 CET 2015

On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 10:11:46AM +0100, Imifos wrote:
> On 29 October 2015 at 23:03, Tom Marble wrote:
>

> > FOSDEM Organizers:

And this writing addresses each member of the FOSDEM community.

> > FOSDEM is a fantastic conference and the only thing I can
> > think of that would make it better is publishing a Code of Conduct:
> >
> > http://www.sarahmei.com/blog/2015/02/01/the-fosdem-conundrum/
> >
> > https://twitter.com/fosdem/status/561885201383821312
> >
> > Will the FOSDEM 2016 edition have a CoC?
> >

> Actually, there is more???
>
> We need as well "something" to enforce the CoC, that can handle incidents
> and that is simply available in case of problems or questions.
>
> As sometimes-volunteer, I think that this should not be the core
> organisation team (too small, too busy, too stressed) and not the "classic"
> volunteers since they are just people helping without any knowledge and
> power to decide.
>
> There is this blog post. Disclaimer: please read with educational acuteness
> of thought. I post this not to blame, but to give impulses.
>
>  http://skade.me/blog/2015/fosdem-2015.html

Which contains
  'not something I wish to make public.'

I stopped reading after
  'has yet to own up to a long list of failures.'

> Personally, I would be ready to help with this CoC and "on place task
> force".

Good luck with that.

As in: It is plain stupid to create a _special_ expection handler.

The way to go:
  Each transmitted "stop, enough!" being recieved as "STOP, it is enough"

So whenever is there is a "stop, enough!",
it is up to all of us to make it a "STOP, it is enough".

Do NOT wait for _special persons_, be the "special person".

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--
Leven en laten leven