[FOSDEM] It's time for a Code of Conduct

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Fri Oct 30 13:50:37 CET 2015

I think the support for victims of abuse is far more important than
writing down rules. In any case, if no law is broken, there is little
the organizers, or anyone, can do. And if a law is broken, the
important steps are documentation and reporting to the police.

Something as simple as "Call/text This Number in case of Emergency,"
stuck up around the place, would be a good start.

Or, a leaflet explaining what to do when someone assaults you in any sense.

I've a lot of experience documenting and reporting abusive behavior to
the Belgian police so if you decide to go this route I'm happy to
advise.

Safety doesn't come from putting up walls. It comes from providing
each visitor with the knowledge and tools to defend themselves.

-Pieter