[FOSDEM] It's time for a Code of Conduct

Dave Neary dneary at redhat.com
Fri Oct 30 14:19:12 CET 2015

Hi,

On 10/30/2015 08:50 AM, Pieter Hintjens wrote:
> I think the support for victims of abuse is far more important than
> writing down rules. In any case, if no law is broken, there is little
> the organizers, or anyone, can do. And if a law is broken, the
> important steps are documentation and reporting to the police.

I disagree - there are lots of things the organisers can do, even if
laws are not broken - mediation, excluding attendees, public statements
of support indicating that incidents are unacceptable.

Then there are things that organisers can do when laws are broken - sit
with and comfort someone, call the police for them and explain in the
local language what has happened, wait with someone while the police are
on their way - event organisers are a natural point for contact for a
conference attendee, and they should be aware of how they can best
address a situation where a law has potentially been broken (if only to
be able to judge when it's appropriate to call the police vs medical
services vs attempt to mediate directly).

Thanks,
Dave.

> Something as simple as "Call/text This Number in case of Emergency,"
> stuck up around the place, would be a good start.
>
> Or, a leaflet explaining what to do when someone assaults you in any sense.
>
> I've a lot of experience documenting and reporting abusive behavior to
> the Belgian police so if you decide to go this route I'm happy to
> advise.
>
> Safety doesn't come from putting up walls. It comes from providing
> each visitor with the knowledge and tools to defend themselves.
>
> -Pieter
>

> On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 1:39 PM, Imifos <imifos at gmail.com> wrote:
>> big +1 for this.
>>
>> There is just one thing:
>>
>> I would never do such operation without clear support from the organizers.
>> It is important (for me) that I can speak with them having their trust,
>> attention and respect, and not simply being considered a hysterical dump
>> dora. This project has to become a part of FOSDEM, not just "yet another
>> play in the gallery".
>>
>> A part of this, everything is as simple (and even more) as you said...
>>
>> Thank you!
>>

>> On 30 October 2015 at 13:31, Pieter Hintjens <ph at imatix.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Asking for upfront consensus here is not going to work.
>>>
>>> Nor do you need it. Those who wish a COC and the (non trivial)
>>> infrastructure to implement it should make that happen. Simply form a
>>> FOSDEM COC committee, come to agreement on your text, publish it. Then
>>> form a group of volunteers who will station areas on the campus. Hand
>>> each visitor a copy of the COC. Make sure your staff are present full
>>> time, and do not drink any beer. You can find plenty of safe spaces.
>>> It should be easy to document any incidents, and provide support in
>>> case of need to file criminal complaints.
>>>
>>> None of this needs agreement from the FOSDEM organizers, does it.
>>> You're not asking them for any resources, time, or formal spaces.
>>>
>>> -Pieter Hintjens

Dave Neary - NFV/SDN Community Strategy
Ph: +1-978-399-2182 / Cell: +1-978-799-3338