[FOSDEM] It's time for a Code of Conduct

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Fri Oct 30 15:15:52 CET 2015

>   Disagree. Like it or not, organizers are community leaders; it's
> their responsibility.
>   Disagree. The community can police itself, but only if it knows what
> its own policy is. It is up to the community leadership to put
> policy in place, and tools for escalation.

We disagree just enough that this should work.

Let us side-step the "Official COC" content discussion, or we will be
bogged down in arguments over content. My proposal is to make it
simply "Be nice to each other." and then evolve with pull requests. It
can live, and writing it can be a positive part of this community's
work, with all the emotion we feel.

We can print some t-shirts. We can ask the FOSDEM organizers for
blessing. They do not need to give it. If the community can police
itself, it can write its own policy and build its own tools.

How to police a 5,000+ open access event...? I honestly prefer this
[1] to the conventional CoCs.

-Pieter

[1] http://burningman.org/culture/philosophical-center/10-principles/

-Pieter