[FOSDEM] [CFP] FOSDEM 2017 - Distributions Devroom
brian at bstinson.com
Mon Oct 24 17:31:45 CEST 2016
FOSDEM 2017 - Distributions Devroom Call for Participation
The Distributions devroom will take place 4 February, 2017 at FOSDEM, in
room K.4.601 at Université Libre de Bruxelles, in Brussels, Belgium.
Distributions are more than just hosted collections of software from various
upstreams. Each distribution is responsible for problem-solving in building,
testing, and releasing software as well as managing the lifecycle of each
application in the collection. Additionally, distributions do very important
work in ensuring that various versions of upstream software work well together
and can co-exist. Distribution are also, often responsible, for "de-vendoring"
upstream software so that security fixes can be applied more quickly.
We welcome submissions targeted at contributors interested in issues unique to
distributions, especially in the following topics:
- Managing Build/Test/Release processes around shared ideas and resources
- Lifecycle management, especially in the areas of sandboxing,
containerization, vendoring, and bundling
- Distribution construction tools and infrastructure development and
implementation (building, signing, testing, distribution, etc.)
- Cross-distribution collaboration on common issues, eg: content distribution,
infrastructure, and documentation
- Working with vendors and including them in the community
- Building trust and code relationships with the upstream components of a
distribution and between distributions
- The future of distributions, emerging trends and evolving user demands from
the idea of a platform
- The place of distributions in today's world (including concepts of
containerization, IoT, etc.)
- Onboarding new users and mentorship, facilitating technical growth within the
- Solving traditional problems like package management, and content management
(eg. rpm/dpkg/ostree/coreos )
- Integration technologies like installers, deployment facilitation ( eg. cloud
- Principals of Rolling Releases, Long Term Supported Releases (LTS), Feature
gated releases, and calendar releases
Ideal submissions are actionable and opinionated. Submissions may be in the
form of 25 or 50 minute talks, panel sessions, round-table discussions, or
Birds of a Feather (BoF) sessions.
Submission Deadline: 25-Nov-2016
Acceptance Notification: 5-Dec-2016
Final Schedule Posted: 11-Dec-2016
How to submit
1.) If you do not have an account, create one here
2.) Click 'Create Event'
3.) Enter your presentation details
4.) Be sure to select the Distributions Devroom track!
What to include
- The title of your submission
- A 1-paragraph Abstract
- A longer description including the benefit of your talk to your target
audience, including a definition of your target audience.
- Approximate length / type of submission (talk, BoF, ...)
- Links to related websites/blogs/talk material (if any)
We will be live-streaming and recording the Distributions Devroom. Presenting
at FOSDEM implies permission to record your session and distribute the
recording afterwards. All videos will be made available under the standard
FOSDEM content license (CC-BY).
If you have any questions, feel free to contact the devroom organizers:
distributions-devroom at lists.fosdem.org
Brian Exelbierd (twitter: @bexelbie) and Brian Stinson (twitter: @bstinsonmhk)
for and on behalf of The Distributions Devroom Program Committee
More information about the FOSDEM