[FOSDEM] warning about Belgian SIM cards

Jurgen Gaeremyn jurgen.gaeremyn at pandora.be
Sun Feb 5 16:36:57 CET 2017

On 03-02-17 11:33, Daniel Pocock wrote:

> In previous years, I've always bought a local SIM card as a backup in
> case I couldn't get onto the wonderful FOSDEM wifi and the SIM has
> always worked within 5 minutes.
>
> I bought one early this morning and it still isn't working yet after
> about 3 hours.  The shop and the customer service line have told me that
> they have to check all new accounts manually now because of "terrorism"
> and pressure from French authorities.  They told me to wait 24 hours
> before asking about it again.  For anybody only arriving in Brussels
> today and buying a SIM in the evening, it is not clear if it will really
> be activated over the weekend or only next week so you may just be
> wasting time and money.
As roaming within the EU becomes free (to a certain limit), I see
competition kicking in and you'll be able to get your European SIM card
really easy. Maybe you'll be able to preorder your Spanish or Danish SIM
card a week before the event... Next year, things will be different.
You'll see. :)

Grtz,
Jurgen.