[FOSDEM] ham-radio

Kristoff kristoff at skypro.be
Sat Jan 14 15:37:26 CET 2017

Austin,

On 14-01-17 12:06, Austin Hair wrote:
> Does anybody have any plans to have a session about getting licensed?
> I read the big blue ARRL book 25 years ago, and now have the Chinese
> 2M HT that everyone has, but I follow the rules and don't transmit.
> Since I live in the Netherlands and am not yet fluent in Dutch, my
> options are limited, but I can travel.
> If not, I'll just bring the radio and listen in.

FOSDEM is primairely a conference for free and opensource developement,
not really a hamradio conference. (I concider us to be "guests" on this
event )

There will be no possiblity to do ham-radio exams at fosdem, but I
think, if you are only fluent in English, the best option to do that is
the yearly ham-radio event in Friedrichshafen, Germany (to be held this
year from the 14th to 16th of July).
I know that the ARRL has -in the past- provided the possiblity to get a
US license at that event. I propose you contact them to ask them to be
sure they will do this again this year:

more info can be found here:
http://www.hamradio-friedrichshafen.de/ham-en/
http://www.hamradio-friedrichshafen.de/ham-en/index-of-exhibitors/index.php?id=1089467613160972842

If you have other questions, I propose you contact me offlist as the
FOSDEM mailing-list is probably not the best place to discuss this.

BTW. For people who are heading to FOSDEM for the SDR devroom, I have
been asked by my contacts at the DARC to make a little bit of publicity
for the "SDR Academy" to be held at Friedrichshafen on saterday the 15th
of July
http://2017.sdra.io/

Kristoff