[FOSDEM] requirement to start a devroom

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.pro
Sat Jul 1 22:01:29 CEST 2017

On 01/07/17 21:44, Mark Van den Borre wrote:
> Hello Kristoff,

>> Correct. In fact, the ham-radio infobooth we have had started out as an idea
>> of some people who participated in the SDR devroom in 2014.
> [...]
>> So I am still a bit puzzled on how to see this and how to do this the best.
>> (hence my question here).
> In general, keep an eye on the call for proposals to appear to submit
> a devroom request.
>
> You can always try to ask for a separate devroom and explicitly
> mention this is coordinated with SDR and for one year only. That might
> have a non-zero chance of getting accepted.
>
> But the hard truth is that we're always receiving several times the
> number of applications, and we often have to disappoint people...

One thing I raised on the devroom-managers list last year[1] was the
idea of grouping talks by tags/themes that span multiple dev-rooms, that
may help in a situation like this and also the general question of
congestion at FOSDEM.

Given the level of competition that exists for dev-rooms, why not
consider abolishing them completely and having talks grouped by tags?

So, a talk about the gqrx software might have tags "sdr", "ham", "python"

A talk about WebRTC might have tags like "voip", "sip", "javascript" and
"mozilla"

Pages could be created on fosdem.org for each tag.  A page for the
"javascript" tag would include the WebRTC talk, but it would also
include any talks in the PostgreSQL dev-room that involve embedding
JavaScript in the database (PL/v8).

Another thing to bear in mind is that there are hams in just about every
significant community at FOSDEM, even if they don't come to FOSDEM for
ham purposes.

Regards,

Daniel

1. 540a1880-5747-eaf8-688c-d62bc9626781 at pocock.pro