[FOSDEM] requirement to start a devroom

Wouter Verhelst wouter at fosdem.org
Sun Jul 2 00:43:26 CEST 2017

Hi Kristoff,

On Sat, Jul 01, 2017 at 09:31:29PM +0200, Kristoff wrote:
> Hence my qyestion, what are the requirements to start a devroom?

In general, the requirement is something along the lines of "be more
interesting than the dozens of other requests we get".

FOSDEM has been a victim of its own success for the past decade or so.
We get more requests for stands and/or devrooms than we can possible
hand out, so we have to say "no" to a much larger number of people than
we'd like.

As such, we look at the requests that we get, try to figure out a fair
and as objective as possible way to decide which projects we'll give a
room and which projects we'll have to unfortunately reject, and go from
there.

You'll have a better chance of getting accepted if you are
- A project that is generally interesting to a "free software
  developer"
- Not too much of a niche project
- If you had a devroom in the past, were a popular one

In that light, it makes sense to have a combined "SDR+HAM radio"
devroom. SDR and HAM radio might not be the same thing, but they *are*
related, and it is likely that people who are interested in SDR might
also be interested in HAM radio, and vice versa.

> Who should be contact for this?

>From your side: whoever has the time and the willingness to organize it.

>From our side: there will be a call for participation further down the
line. It will be posted on the website (and possibly on this list too).
When you see it, send in your proposal, preferably before the deadline.
You'll find out the rest later ;-)

--
Could you people please use IRC like normal people?!?

  -- Amaya Rodrigo Sastre, trying to quiet down the buzz in the DebConf 2008
     Hacklab