[FOSDEM] requirement to start a devroom

Kristoff kristoff at skypro.be
Sat Jul 1 21:10:34 CEST 2017

James,

Correct. In fact, the ham-radio infobooth we have had started out as an
idea of some people who participated in the SDR devroom in 2014.

But, as also replied by Daniel, amateur radio is more then
signal-processing (SDR). There also is (e.g.)  digital voice, digital
keyboard-to-keyboard communication modes, weak-signal communication,
satellite-trackers, mesh-networking, repeater-linking-networks, and many
other things.
But I do agree that the ham-radio topics do overlap quite a bit with
existing devroom: the SDR devroom, the EDA (electronic-design
automation) and the "embedded" devroom.
Another element in this is that the SDR devroom is already quite loaded.
Adding ham-radio-but-not-related-to-sdr topics to that devroom is
probably not a good idea.

So I am still a bit puzzled on how to see this and how to do this the
best. (hence my question here).

Cheerio! Kr. Bonne.